Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey all, Arthur from the Smoothie project here with my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Note: If you use Simplify3D, you never want to admit to it in at least the Smoothieware IRC channel. Being closed and for-profit, the Smoothie developers outright declare Simplify3D as being incompatible with Smoothie and pretty much refuse to help those people using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpete61
    As others have said if you use Simplify3D forget it!
    You just *do not* want to ask for help with it, at least not in the IRC channel.
    I want to address these. For over a year, S3D had a bug that caused it to produce insanely bad gcode, that would cause severe slow downs on 8-bit firmwares, and very occasionally crashes on Smoothie firmware.
    S3D was extremely unhelpful with this issue ( and even outright agressive at times, going as far as censoring their forums when the issue was mentionned by their users, and denying the issue exists months after they were told about it ).
    It was very easy to fix on their side, but they wouldn't.
    It was very hard to fix on our side, but they wouldn't help us in any way. In the end, dozens of people and thousands of hours of work were involved on the Smoothie side of things, where that was not necessary at all if S3D had helped. After all this work a fix was developped on the Smoothie side. And some months after, S3D silently fixed the issue.

Because of this, *some* of the Smoothie developers are fairly upset at S3D.

However, many people get help with S3D in the Smoothie community on a day to day basis.
    Just because some people refuse to help doesn't mean you won't get any help.

Some of us also refuse to help with closed-source clones for example, but others will help, so in the end, it's just a matter of some people not being willing to spend their free time helping on things they don't want to help with. I don't think you can blame them, it's volunteer work ...

And again : *others* do help, so all is good if you take a step back ...

I wouldn't wait for the new smoothieboard. It comes up in the IRC channel fairly regularly. The board developers simply will not commit to a promise date.
    There are dozens of volunteers involved in the development. I can't go see volunteers who do this on their hobby times and tell them "Hey Todd, you got to finish this by monday or I'll report you to HR" ...
    So no we can't have timetables.
    What I can say is it's a collosal project, it's going very well, a lot of work is being done, and there is stuff happening all the time.
    It's going to be awesome

It probably doesn't help that there will be, as I understand it, different versions.
    That's not a problem. What's causing the most delays right now is simply how collosal in scope the project is

Cheers all

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Arthur, thanks for clarifying. It's great to see you posting on 3DPrintBoard.

Arhur wit this in mind, I also run S3D, what other oprions are there fr software?

PS. I just ordered. 4xc and 5xc this week

Quote Originally Posted by scalci View Post
    Arhur wit this in mind, I also run S3D, what other oprions are there fr software?

PS. I just ordered. 4xc and 5xc this week
    Well first let me insist that S3D does work with Smoothie now, so if you like that, you can use that.

If you want to look at alternative, the classics are Slic3r, and Cura.

Nice for the board order If you need help with anything you can email me directly at wolf.arthur@gmail.com

Engineer
    Also checkout the DuetWifi very comparible to the Smoothieboard/Ware

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12