Close

Add jheikkila54 on Thingiverse

Printing with different nozzle sizes with dual extruder

Hey Guys,

I have been using Simplify3D for about a week now and love it. However, I would like to speed up my print times however using different nozzle sizes (whether with Simplify3D or another slicer) I have read other posts from various forums and appears that it is a fairly common topic. What I would like to know is if I use a .3 nozzle for finer detail on the perimeters and a .8 nozzle for infill, will I not be able to print .05 or even .1 layer heights anymore? Is there a way to setup Simplify (or another) to print the infil at .3 layer height and the perimeters at .1 or .05? Or do you think a .8 nozzle can do .05 layer res. Ideally being able to print the infil at .3 would nice, since it would greatly reduce printing time. Any thoughts or experience in setting up dual extruders to do this would be great!

Dead easy. S3D is really perfect for that : you create 2 processes.
    In process 1 you enable the external perimeters for the left extruder.
    In process 2, you enable the infill for the right extruder.

There are some constraints however, I think the 2 layer heights have to be multiples. You can see the option in the table. of infills. And yes, 0,05 with a 0,8 nozzle will probably not work.

There is a tutorial on their website.

Thank you, I figured it was something like that. I just wanted to see if this has been done by others before proceeding to play

I been playing with S3D and it doesnt seem to be all that easy. If in process 2 I enable the right extruder for infill, what I do about the exterior perimeters for process 2? Also for Process 1, do you set infill to 0?

I set process 1 to print infill at 0% at a layer res of .1 and process 2 to print 0 top, bottom, and perimeter loops and to print the infill at 15% and .4 layer height. it ends up crashing S3D

With the help of S3D support I was able to figure out how to do this. This can be done in 1 process. You set the proper nozzle sizes for each extruder, set the smaller nozzle extruder as your primary at a layer res .1 (or whatever you choose) aswell as however many outside perimeters you want. Then on the infill tab, you set your larger nozzle extruder as the infill extruder, then set the "Print sparse infill every _ layers" Change this number to a how many perimeter layers you want to print per single layer of infill. So if I am printing .1 and want my infill to be .4 I would change that number to 4, however if I am printing .05 and want the infill to be .4 I would use 8.

This successfully changed a 26 hour print to 17 hours while keeping fine detail.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Unless it's some high detail sculpture, What the heck are you printing that takes so long? Yes, my longest was 23 hours, but that was a 180mm ^3 skull at ultra high detail and 50% infill (noob mistake).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nozzle size shouldn't effect layer height.
    Just wall thickness.

Think about it, you'll still be able to extrude a 0.05 layer, it'll just be wider.

No logical reason for nozzle diameter to effect layer height.

Also with version 3.0 of s3d. I don't think you need to have two seperate processes (or earlier versions come to that) Each nozzle has it's own seperate settings anyway.

Essentially a dual print profile is already two seperate processes combined.

Probably easier to do it with 2 processes though if you want vastly different infill from each nozzle.