Close

Thread: Birthday Gift

Add Marm on Thingiverse

Birthday Gift

Todays My birthday, and I decided to splurge a bit. Bought myself a Space Navigator (used, if I really like it, I'll eventually upgrade to the pro, if not, I can resell it). It's a left handed 6dof 'mouse' for the off hand, helps manipulate 3d objects. I'll post up a review eventually. http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/...navigator.html

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Happy Day!

Wow, a happy birthday indeed. Not for everyone but definitely useful when you get used to it.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Ironically, it arrived in a shapeways box.

And if it doesn't work, it'll make a great door stop. It's a solid brick.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well.

I had gotten deeply entrenched in my ways for modeling. The middle and right mouse buttons were my hand of god, spinning and zooming as I pleased. I played with the 3dmouse for a little bit, and I didn't like it. I didn't see the need.

But now I'm on the road, and my portable mouse's middle button doesn't always work. But I had brought the 3dmouse just so I could play with it some more. I also ended up with a project to do, as I was stuck at my girlfriends place, and we just re-decorated her bedroom, and since she has a thing for dragons, well, I made these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:911288. Not a complex project, but still, I need 3d camera control.

So out came the SpaceNavigator. And after bitching it out for 10 minutes, cause the axes didn't make any friggin sense, and then realizing I had it sitting sideways, it slowly started to grow on me. Initially, I had to slow it down, as the acceleration was too great, and it was getting out of control; Multiple times I lost the object completely as it had been reduced to one pixel or less on my screen, only the origin axes letting me know where I was. But now, I think I will have to step up the speed a bit, as I'm learning the touch (and it's touchy!). I discovered the huge advantage of not having to release an object or element with the right handed mouse to spin the world. With the 3dmouse, I can continue to drag or hold an element as I rotate the world around it. I'll continue to play with it, but I think my initial impression was faulty. There is a point and a use for it. It sure takes a lot of practice.... having to retrain 30+ years of right handed mouse use only is a lot of work. I think using a Nostromo Speedpad for gaming has helped in that learning curve though....

Still just a prelimary review.... an indepth one is coming.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Nice. 7890

I love Birthdays, wish you happy birthday. I wanted to write in this thread because I bought myself for a birthday a Space Navigator too. It was the happiest time for me this year. In fact, I've learned last year that if you want to get the perfect gift for your birthday, you should buy it yourself. No one knows you as well as you do. On my last birthday, I received a gift basket with fancy bottles of wine and snacks. The basket was good, and the service that delivered it, too. https://www.jetgiftbaskets.com/ But I wanted another gift. So, I spent a whole year saving up some money, and this year I was able to buy what I really wanted.
    Last edited by harlet; 06-10-2020 at 05:53 AM.