Close

New - looking for advice

Hi guys.

Im new too 3D printing and I want to start experimenting with it.
    I would like to start by printng objects that I would like to try to sell. Then eventually try to think of more creative opportunities.

say for starters I want to print objects/products such as iPhone cases, key chains, figurines from plastic. What printer should I buy and how much would that sort cost?
    is a plastic printer much less expensive than a metal material printing one? (for jewlery)

I would like to be able to print good looking prints, and not simply basic cheapy-looking products.

For example if you search "3D printed iPhone cases" on Google images there are some pretty neat designs. What kind of printer is needed for such prints and how much can I get one for?

How much do the materials cost? for the sake of the same example: What would be the cost of plastic material for 1 iPhone case?
    How long would it take to print that iPhone case?

Any advice and replies are much appreciated!
    Thanks!

Staff Engineer
    Good luck with your business idea, but you're not exactly the first person to think of this. Are you already an expert at 3D modeling, with a lot of designs you think will sell briskly? Or was your plan to find models on Thingiverse, print them out, and try to sell them?

Yes, printers capable of printing directly in metals cost a lot more than ones that print in plastics. On the order of a thousand times more. If you buy the cheapest printer available, you're likely to come up with cheap-looking prints. The same goes for filaments. There are lots of kinds available, and their costs vary a lot. If surface detail is important to you, then plastic extrusion printers might not be what you want to use; even the best of them will produce parts with noticeable striation. I'd suggest you create (or find) a design you think you can sell, and use a service like 3DHubs or Shapeways to produce some on a range of machines, so you can see the differences close-up and test out the design to see if it really works, how much you can realistically sell it for, and use that research to guide your choice of a printer, if you decide this idea is feasible.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you for the reply and insight!

I have never modeled before or designed.
    I started designing on tinkercad for fun to see how it works.

I was planning on getting the molds or designs on Thingiverse and printing them directly as I have seen some designs i beleive can generate some sales (assuming the quality is as good as how it appears in the photos)

I understand I am not the first to think of this - but I really want to learn and gain experience in this new industry so when I think if something more creative and innovative, ill have a little know how to make it happen...
    Am I going about this the right way?

How much would it cost for a plastic printer that can print good quality produts?

I find that shapeways is a expensive in regards to manufacturing.

How can I learn more about 3D printing and entrepreneurship based on it?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    decent printers start from as little as $326 and go up to $3000

Often the printer is considerably less important than how it's used.

How can I learn more about 3D printing and entrepreneurship based on it?
    Like everything in life there are no shortcuts. You learn by reading and studying the subject.
    There are thousands or articles, websites and blogs online that will no doubt teach you everything you'd care to know.

But nobody can read them for you :-)

The easiest way would be to buy a decent but cheap printer and just start using it.
    Cheapest one that's likely to do the job at the moment is the wanhao duplicator i3.
    http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame

It's almost a rule of thumb that the cheaper the printer, the more you'll need to learn to use it properly.
    And that's no bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    d

The easiest way would be to buy a decent but cheap printer and just start using it.
    Cheapest one that's likely to do the job at the moment is the wanhao duplicator i3.
    http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame

It's almost a rule of thumb that the cheaper the printer, the more you'll need to learn to use it properly.
    And that's no bad thing.
    Agreed! I'm of the opinion (especially if money is tight) that you learn a lot by putting your printer together from a kit. Of course not everybody is going to agree or be willing to do that. But the people that do do that, have a much better understanding of how to solve problems when they come up.

Engineer-in-Training
    There are two things in your plan that you should revise.

You said that you want to start by printing things and selling them, you are putting the cart in front of the horse there... and the horse may end up biting you in the rear.
    First learn the ins and outs of 3D printing and part modeling and design, if you don't you are bound to end up facing clients not satisfied with your work on one hand, and you'll find yourself facing unforeseen problems on the other; and if both happen at the same time you'll be in a stressful (if not economically damaging) position.
    3D printing is not what it's cracked up to be, you can't just get a file, press Print and hey presto, ca-ching! It's better to realize that before you have clients knocking at your door with complains.

Second thing, your business plan is to basically appropriate the work of others; unless there's explicit permission for commercial use from the creators of the objects you plan to sell you are setting yourself up for, at best, a lot of flak from the community or at worst legal action.
    To make things worse that is probably the least suitable and profitable business model for 3D printing, the strength of the concept is the ability to create custom objects tailored to the needs of people, and for that you must have modeling and design skills or hire someone to take care of that.