Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Entire Plastic Engine 3D Printed By Chinese

Chinese 3D printer manufacturer Winbo has just showed us quite an interesting creation, a 3D printed engine. Although you can;t place gasoline in it and have it function a tiny motor is all that's needed to run this thing. The engine took just three days to complete, start to finish, as opposed to weeks or even months that it would have taken with traditional manufacturing methods. More details and images of this engine can be seen here: http://3dprint.com/69577/3d-printed-engine-winbo

Below is a picture of the 3D printed Winbo engine. What do you think?

This is not their design. Here is the original without there rebranding http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644933. Like many Chinese 'inventions' it is just a rip off. disappointed that no research was even done. The individual who actually made this design also made a working transmission for it. You should remove this article.

Engineer-in-Training
    Agreed completely. As much as I love 3DPrint.com, I'm starting to question their journalistic capabilities, so much so, that the original creator of this model was featured on 3DPrint.com back in late Januaray...

Senior Engineer
    Why remove it? It is much better for it to stay along with your post.

It is a monster piece of work, totally impressed with it generally. (the Thingiverse one obviously)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Why remove it? It is much better for it to stay along with your post.

It is a monster piece of work, totally impressed with it generally. (the Thingiverse one obviously)
    Sorry, what I meant was that the Wimbo article makes it appear as if they were the ones who created the model and printed it. It's perfectly fine if it references the original creator's design, but as it stands, it makes it appear as if Wimbo was the creator here.

Technician
    Typical Chinese company. Take someone's work, put your own name on it and say hey look what we can do. That motor is amazing and so is the "real" person who designed and printed it but that's old news just the same.

Anyone with a halfway decent printer can print one from his files. I'm surprised 3DPrint.com even put that article up showing a Chinese name on something they know was created by someone else and then make it sound like it's some kind of achievement by this company. Definitely a big miss.
    Last edited by dklassen; 06-16-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the article CLEARLY states that the chinese 'found' the design on thingiverse.
    In doing so, they 3D printed an entire engine from a design they found on Thingiverse, using nothing but 3D printed parts.
    How about actually reading the articles before jumping all over Brian :-)
    There'll generally be something else in there you can get him on ;-)
    Like this:
    Of course these 3D printers aren’t capable yet of printing metal engines,
    While technically accurate. There are companies out there who print nylon parts and then electroplate them in metal. The part can actually be strong and durable enough to be used asa metal part would. Saw a guy lecturing on the process at tct last year.
    So, technically, with a bit of applied alchemy - you could make a working metal engine model with an fdm printer.

Engineer-in-Training
    The story does link to it, though I think it falls a tad short of attribution. Sure, you can go find the file creator's name (ericthepoolboy), but not naming him still seems pretty weak.

I also don't like them because they constantly try to spam the Google Groups. A few get through every week, I'd hate to think how many accounts they've made and got blocked before successuflly spamming.

Engineer-in-Training
    Also, you could "lost PLA" cast parts too. I've known someone that's successfully done it, though his early efforts were a bit rough.

Banned
    I made this engine on my printers. It is definitely a learning experience. As for Winbo, woohoo, you printed an engine, so did I. Now can I get my own article?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast