Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Modified Wooden X-Carriage with some curves

I have not gotten around to replacing this wooden x-carriage & decided to revisit the original design to see if I could make it more curvy like my other redesigns & make it stronger in the process. Here is what I came up with. The volume of the part is 5.6 cubic cm smaller (68.2 versus 62.6) & Pronterface shows the print using 6' less filament. My 1st version of this new design just had it curved around the holes, but since the weight is really only being carried by the top wheels I decided to cut it open at the top middle to see what it would look like. I think with the ledge around the outside top should give it plenty of strength and I do not see any interference problems. I started to put another couple of holes where the belt is clamped, but thought that might take too much strength away from the design. Since the heat from the extruder probably gets a little caught under that plate, I am wondering if putting a couple of heat relief holes to each side & slightly above the bottom center wheel would be a good idea. The 2nd photo shows that idea. I could also take out those 2 bottom outer holes & slant those 2 Shelf supports inward. Originally I thought that might concentrate more heat underneath, but adding those 2 extra holes should help that. Here is a photo of the design. The top of it kind of reminds of bib overalls. Let me know if you have any suggestions about any of this.
    X-Carriage_rev14.jpgX-Carriage_rev14_HeatReliefHoles.jpg

Technologist
    After sleeping on this idea, I made a few changes. I turned the hot end on after raising the X-carriage up a few inches to feel how much heat is under that carriage. i was surprised how cool it was. I added some holes 5mm apart on the carriage plate. I originally tried putting a smile cut there, but seemed to cut a lot of strength out of it. I also added a ledge around the bottom bolt, rounded the extruder cutout & added a couple more welds underneath. Thought about adding a couple more holes between where the belt clamp is, but not sure I should do that. In the attached photos, I show the bolts & nuts in red for reference clearance.
    X-Carriage_rev16.jpgX-CarriageTopView_rev16.jpg

Technologist
    I kind of like the look of this part even more with the smile on it. It will be kind of a hidden smile, since you don't really see it with the extruder attached. I also changed my x-belt clamp to match the contour of the x-carriage. I will probably print this today to see how it really looks and feels.
    Here are a couple of photos of the new design.X-Carriage_rev17.jpgX-CarriageBotView_rev17.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    I printed up and installed the X motor mount and X idler and have been using them for a few days. They seem to be working well, I wouldn't mind replacing the carriage also but I use auto bed leveling so I would have to have something built into the printed carriage to hold the servo assembly for the ABL. It would be pretty difficult to fit a servo in there with the curves on the lower supports though.

Thanks,
    Chadd

Technologist
    Do you have an example of how that connects to the X-carriage. I have not gone to the ABL method yet. I could make an alternate version without the curves on the bottom fairly easily. It is easier to take the curves away than add them.

Is one of these the way you are connecting the ABL to the x-carraige?
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:336709
    or
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335632
    Last edited by PyramidDave; 06-12-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am using the file that Clough42 uploaded, it is the second one you linked.
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    Do you have an example of how that connects to the X-carriage. I have not gone to the ABL method yet. I could make an alternate version without the curves on the bottom fairly easily. It is easier to take the curves away than add them.

Is one of these the way you are connecting the ABL to the x-carraige?
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:336709
    or
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335632

Technologist
    Chadd,

I downloaded Cough42's stl files & overlaid the profile into my design taking out the curved edges of my design on the bottom. If this looks like what you want, I can put the STL files on my website for you to take a look at & print. I would prefer to have the design tested before putting on thingiverse. I printed the curved design today & it seems quite solid & fits on the printer. I cannot flex the plastic at all. I printed the test part with PLA at.6 infill & weighs 2.1 oz.
    Here is the photo of the design with the ABL mounting holes & my printed curvy version.
    X-Carriage_rev19.jpgIMG_8015_800x600.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    That would be great,

Thanks,
    Chadd

Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    Chadd,

I downloaded Cough42's stl files & overlaid the profile into my design taking out the curved edges of my design on the bottom. If this looks like what you want, I can put the STL files on my website for you to take a look at & print. I would prefer to have the design tested before putting on thingiverse. I printed the curved design today & it seems quite solid & fits on the printer. I cannot flex the plastic at all. I printed the test part with PLA at.6 infill & weighs 2.1 oz.
    Here is the photo of the design with the ABL mounting holes & my printed curvy version.
    X-Carriage_rev19.jpgIMG_8015_800x600.jpg

Technologist
    Here you go. http://www.zewind.com/i3V_X-Carriage_rev19_repaired.zip
    I will leave the file there for a couple of days.
    It could stand to have the 2 side edges chamfered also, but I can not get to that for a little while.

Engineer-in-Training
    I will print one up tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast