Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    So... I'm making progress! I can shrink the skull, and then cut off pieces of it that don't matter to form the 'hollow part'. But I need to learn how to close back up the big areas that I sliced through. And I need to learn how to gracefully remove things lift hanging like the eye sockets. I tried selecting pieces of the mesh and deleting them, but that is pretty painful. And if you look carefully around the eye sockets you will see where I missed and selected something behind them. When I deleted the vertices I made holes in the back of the skull!
    Easiest way to remove things is to make a cube or sphere or something, position it over what you want to remove, and do a Boolean difference on it. From there, if for some reason you have some "hangers on", select Edit Mode, Mesh, Clean Up, Delete Loose. If (when) all else fails, export what you've got as an stl file, and go over to Netfabb and let it clean everything up. Then re-import it. This technique hasn't failed me yet...

But like I said... I'm making good progress. Blender is a very powerful program! I'm on the 4th tutorial. But the tutorials move so slow and talk about things I know I don't care about.
    No way in this world I'd go through every tutorial there just for 3D printing. I think you only need about 4 of them (I listed the ones that I thought were necessary somewhere on this forum in the past... )

And I do understand what you mean by keeping track of the coordinates for things so I can position things correctly. I'm not to that point yet, but it is very clear why that is necessary.
    Select the object you want to keep track of, select that + in the upper right hand corner, then note (write down) the location shown under 3D Cursor.

Blender keyboard shortcuts (print this out and your life gets easier while you're learning):

http://www.rigsofrods.com/images/imp...rdlayout-1.png
    Last edited by ssayer; 06-07-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Maybe a bit of lateral thinking:

STL files are a PITA to work with, regardless of software you have. A much simpler solution would be to download a STP file from, say, GrabCAD and edit that. Much easier. Plus you can export the resultant files to your specifications (I find many downloaded STL files are very facetted. I don't like that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12