Close

Kwambio Unique One 3D Printer

While we’ve been interested to see how Kwambio’s comprehensive 3D printing service will succeed upon launch this summer, they’ve added something new and exciting for a simultaneous launch with their Unique One 3D printer which offers high speed, as well as a completely integrated user interface that melds software and hardware so that all users have to do is download, customize, and 3D print right from the desktop. Additional details on this machine can be found in the article here: http://3dprint.com/58545/kwambio-unique-one/

Below is an early picture of the Kwambio Unique One 3D Printer which is being unveiled this week at the 3D Print Show in NYC

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds almost exactly like the model-t setup, but with super expensive filament.

Student
    Follow NoahSH On Twitter Add NoahSH on Shapeways Add NoahSH on Thingiverse
    Let me first say, that I do not know very much about this company. I'm not in a position to speculate, but I do have an opinion. I think they are going too far off the map with the design and it will be a big flop. The thing looks like a R2d2 knockoff.

It's good that someone realized the origional kwambio platform idea was a mistake. But re-routing investor dollars on something so risky seems silly to me. No files? As a sales pitch, Are you kidding? Who ever said, 'I hate computers and 3d printers because they have files'. It's like trying to invent a problem and then trying to sell a product benefit based on a problem no one actually has. I suspect a creative, but highly mis-guided team. I sure hope it works out, but someone has to stop thinking that innovation means to do it all differently, and realize that real innovation means doing it better.

The original kwambio platform caught my attention because they would end up being direct competitors to my 3D printed products business. But now that I see them spreading themselves so thin, I know there is nothing to worry about.

NoahSH, you judge so early! Give Kwambio a chance to impress you

NO FILES - that's an advantage for designers. "Kwambio can offer this assurance to designers by promising to never distribute the source files for download, and instead streaming the files directly to customers’ 3D printers".

If you are in NYC, attend the 3D Printshow just to see UNIQUEone and Kwambio with your own eyes

curious aardvark, there's no word about filament cost yet

Student
    Follow NoahSH On Twitter Add NoahSH on Shapeways Add NoahSH on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by shamanix View Post
    NoahSH, you judge so early! Give Kwambio a chance to impress you

NO FILES - that's an advantage for designers. "Kwambio can offer this assurance to designers by promising to never distribute the source files for download, and instead streaming the files directly to customers’ 3D printers".

If you are in NYC, attend the 3D Printshow just to see UNIQUEone and Kwambio with your own eyes
    That's not impressing me. It's annoying that a company thinks they can take away control from the artist and think it's benefiting. I'm not afraid of having my ideas ripped off by 3d printing distribution. It's a revolution, not some prissy party. Reminds me of when they tried to copy-protect mp3 . . . what a waste of time.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shamanix View Post
    curious aardvark, there's no word about filament cost yet
    it says custom filament. That spells expensive everywhere else in the industry.

And 300mm/s print speed. Just once I'd like to see one of these companies stating things like that, showing a video of a printer actually printing plastic at that exact speed.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    ... Just once I'd like to see one of these companies stating things like that, showing a video of a printer actually printing plastic at that exact speed.
    ... and let the print actually be worth looking at when its done...

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    ... Just once I'd like to see one of these companies stating things like that, showing a video of a printer actually printing plastic at that exact speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    ... and let the print actually be worth looking at when its done...
    FWIW I run my printer quite slow; no faster than 50mm/s. I think running any machine flatout for any length time is just asking for trouble in terms of wear and tear. And obviously print quality gets better too.