Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

New to 3d design/printing

Hello,

I've always had a passion for "inventing" things and sketching down mock ups in a notebook of mine. I'd like to bring some of these ideas to life. I'm ready to take the leap into 3d design/printing but a bit overwhelmed with all the options as far as software and printers go.

It seems that the most important thing for me is going to be the software program used to create the designs. I would like a professional, all inclusive program that can help me create a model, test it out (stress analysis, real world application etc) as well as aid in the manufacturing process. Throughout the design phase, I plan on using the 3d printer to prototype as I build and tweak whatever I'm working on. Then once the design is complete I'll likely have to outsource the manufacturing.

Recently I came across a program called solid works. It seems to be a very professional and top of the line. Are there any comparable software programs? Are there any better programs I should look at? Not sure exactly how much it will cost either. They didn't have pricing on the website which typically indicates it will be quite expensive. Does anyone have an idea on the cost? 10K? 20K? 100K? I plan on creating a wide range of designs, anything from hand tools, to bikes, to engines. Will a program like solid works allow me to create basically anything or are there specific programs tailored to certain kinds of designs?

For the past few years I've been working for myself as a graphic designer of sorts, mainly using illustrator and a bit of photoshop. I'm hoping I can transfer some of that knowledge and experience into the 3d design realm. Has anyone had any experience going from a design program like illustrator to a 3d design program? Is it completely different or will I be able to benefit from what I've learned in illustrator? I never went to school for design when I began with illustrator but spent a great deal of time teaching it to myself through online searches, forums, tutorials and a few textbooks I was able to pick up. I plan on taking that same approach to learn 3d design/printing. I am currently listing in on a youtube series of lectures pertaining to computer aided design by Dr Anoop Chawla from a mechanical engineering school in Delhi. The lectures were uploaded in 2009 so I'm not sure if it will still be relevant (or even helpful for what I'm trying to accomplish) but it seems to cover a lot so I figure it will be worth it. Any good book suggestions or links to lectures / tutorials for a beginner would be helpful. Thanks.

Technician
    Welcome to the forum. Solidworks is an awesome program. Use it at work. It is expensive. I believe our licenses are $16K/year.....yes a year. Not sure if that includes their simulation software or not. I learned on Solidworks, and going from that to something like Autodesk (free version) has been a struggle for me personally. Think its the terms/layout throwing me off....possibly some procrastination as well

There are a lot of free design software suites out there that seem powerful; Openscad, Autodesk to name 2. I am sure others on this forum can/will list more. Check out the sites, play around with the programs, dig into their forums for features, and if they don't work for you, you won't have invested a lot of money in trying something out.

Student
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, $16K a year is pretty expensive. I wonder if its that price cause multiple people are using the software at your company. I'll be the only one using it so I'm hoping it will be cheaper and have a buy it once option. It usually takes me a year or two to get up and running with a new program like that, and at $16K a year that would hurt. Once I get a little more familiar with the industry I'll most likely give solid works a call to see what they say and get a quote.

I saw autodesk during one of my initial searches and was impressed with that program as well. I saw a trial version and that they offer it free to students but unfortunately I wouldn't qualify for student discount. Unless they count watching youtube tutorials as college credit, lol. The solid works seemed to be a bit more powerful (not sure if that's the case or not though) but depending on price maybe I'll end up with a program like autodesk. I also looked into openscad. That seemed to be going off of a completely different format. Reminds me of building a website using html as opposed to using dreamweaver (I've done both and prefer the dreamweaver way.. plus it allows html as well).

Are the saved files interchangeable between programs? As in, if I create a design in autodesk and then upgrade solid works, would I be able to open up the autodesk file and work on it with solid works? I'm a bit worried about losing ground changing between programs and learning the new one. That's why I was hoping to get a professional, all encompassing program from the get go.

Technician
    Check out DesignSpark. Free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgMY3-hlgs

Student
    Add macdonald.laura92 on Thingiverse
    If you're not entirely sure what you want, always go for the free or trial software. Sure, normally the more you pay, the better quality you get, but it all depends what you actually want. If you're just a hobbyist like me, then you can't spend too much money on such things. If you're looking to invest in software for your own business, then of course spending is a wise option.

Just see what there is, play around with free software and see what you like and what you don't. I had a thread on here somewhere asking about different software options and got a lot of great feedback.

- LM

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@radeuslabs View Post
    Solidworks is an awesome program. Use it at work. It is expensive. I believe our licenses are $16K/year.....yes a year.
    That is simply not true. One license is $3995. Annual Subscription service, which covers technical support and upgrades for one year, is $1295.

Student
    I checked out the solidworks website and did an online quote and saw the price that Todd-67 mentioned for one standard license (just the design software). The price chris suggested was likely their "network licensing" which probably varies depending on how many people work at the company trying to get licensed. Or it could have included other programs such as simulation etc, in addition to the design program. There seems to be a lot of aspects to solid works and all combined, looks like it can get pretty expensive. If I start with solidworks standard would I be able to upgrade to professional or premium if necessary at any point in the future? Also, would I be able to add on the different programs like simulation, as needed? I assume the answer is yes but figured I'd ask anyways. Not exactly sure what level would be right for me; standard, professional or premium. I watched some of the videos on their site and liked the fact that the professional (and premium) had CAD libraries available as well as costing / quoting for certified manufactures built right into the system.

I see that the design software and simulation programs are separate and each has its own "subscription service" in addition to the license. What does the subscription service entail? Would they help you learn the program with step by step advice through different functions depending on what you need (kind of like a tutor), or is it mainly technical support for help with program glitches / crashes etc. Also, is the subscription service necessary to continue using the program after a year? Not sure if the license lasts a lifetime or if you need the subscription to continue using it year after year.

I also checked out the designspark program that dklassen suggested. That looks like a pretty great program with a lot of the same functions as the other programs like autodesk and solidworks. Still not sure if I would be able to start on a free program like that, then upgrade to a more professional program like solid works, and and be able to use the same files that I created on the original program.

I'm looking at this as a business venture and have high hopes of taking one or more of my designs to the manufacturing stage at some point. Because of that I am prepared to make an investment, but I'd like to make sure its the right software that can truly provide me with all the tools necessary to bring my ideas to life. At the same time, I realize there are a lot of free programs out there and wouldn't mind opting for something free if I can get all the same functions. I'm just a bit unsure of the differences between all the programs and if a program like solidworks is really worth the investment. I also am a bit worried about opting for something free now, spending a few years on it, only to realize I need the other functions then having to "start over" with the new program.

Engineer
    I believe there's a license of 1000-2000$ for basic edition for solidworks. You wont need to have all the bundle to do finite element, and other stupid unrelated 3D workshop.

By the way, solidedge from siemens offer free education license for 1 year which can be renewed every year. Use it for the time you learn how to model, and if you want to start doing busisness, you might want to purchase their licensed edition.

Banned
    Can people please do this survey for our class and share the survey as well. We are trying to get at least 100 response. One link is for people who have a 3D printer and the other is for people who don't have a 3D printer.
    Have Printer https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LN3GZ8D
    Don't have printer https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LYB69B6
    make sure to click on the correct link.

Staff Engineer
    Spamming every thread in this forum with your irrelevant request isn't going to make anybody here want to help you out with your survey. Post it once, with its own subject heading, and you'll get better response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast