Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Student
    That's way cool. You could sort of print in full color that way. I guess the question is whether you would be selecting one of n colors per gcode line segment (probably simplest way to do it, with n being 3 or 4), or if you would lase the same spot multiple times under different resin pools in order to try to mix a custom pigment for each line segment, and how well such mixing might work out. You definitely would not be limited to having whole layers be the same color, but this would probably slow down maximum printing speed and introduce surface waves to deal with potentially. Probably is more difficult to pull off the more separate colors are attempted.

Another approach might be to rig a gantry that follows behind the laser spot and dumps or sprays pigment powder onto the curing resin gel.

i hope that someone would test the color-fill-method.
    Print a hollow object with multiple seperate chambers and fill the cambers after the print with colored resin.
    The problem is the shrinking of the inner-resin. Maybe it is strong enough to crack the shell.

Student
    Resin doesn't really shrink much when it cures in a mold anyway, at least, the casting resins I have used don't. Plaster and hydrostone are also rather dimensionally stable. If anything you would have problems with the resin foaming and expanding from contact with water left in the print. Unless these "fill-behind" chambers are very large with adequate escape vents, you also would have problems with air bubbles and getting your chambers to fill unless you also cast in a pressure chamber, so I would think the raft idea above is more feasible? Automating the creation of the fill behind chambers in the model might be challenging as well (i.e. like implementing the auto support features of various slicers).

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterboy View Post
    So, been a while since I have posted. The pressure sensors I ordered turned out to be smaller than expected and just too tiny to successfully solder, so I haven't worked on the project for a while. I just ordered a different (much more expensive) pressure sensor that should be easier to deal with (it's much larger and comes more or less assembled with leads large enough to solder or alligator clip to easily). Will post updates again when I have a chance to play with it.

The results I had before show that the basic idea with using pump and injector will work, and I think that will be useful when attempting to scale up to much larger print reservoirs... just have to regulate the pressure so the tubing doesn't explode on me. With pressure regulated, the fluid delivery for each pulse should be extremely consistent, and programmable. Whether it's cost effective or worthwhile to do it this way remains to be seen though. =) As discussed before, to really scale up the printer design, i.e. to print something the size of a car, would probably need a more powerful laser to keep the print times more reasonable and probably some tweaks to the angular control, in addition to the precision drip control. But basically feasible.

It's pretty clear that the basic design of the Peachy printer would easily be able to print car size objects given enough time, and/or scaling up to a larger version of the same basic mechanism. It could really revolutionize rapid prototyping and manufacturing, in addition to the stated goals of making 3D printing accessible to everyone.

I'm so excited that the Peachy printer is going to start shipping soon!
    Hey tosterboy, how small are the leds? I know I've had luck with SOIC-8 packages which, frankly, I thought were going to be a lot more difficult. If that happens to be your package format, sparkfun sells some adapter boards. The other option for you is, (again you'll need an adapter board, really) is get some solder paste, and you can use a toaster oven as a reflow oven.

Student
    The first set of pressure sensors I got were exactly as specified, 1.6mm x 1.6mm... it's just that I didn't realize how small the contacts on the chip would really be and I am a noob with soldering. (us comp sci guys rarely touch actual hardware). It would be cool if there's an easier way to use these, but if not they were only about $1.56 each so no big deal. I do have a toaster oven.
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/400/AEAC3...580-525808.pdf

Anyway, I got a different Honeywell sensor with a hole mount and leads that are big enough for alligator clips, so it will be much easier to use. (and I won't have to convert readings in bar into psi with the new one I got).

I think I'll install the sensor into a pipe cap so I can use a pipe T and nipples to adjust to different tubing in the future. I can get a second T and hook up an analog pressure gauge also. I have a spare gauge from when I built my pressure pot for resin casting.

Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    That actually makes more sense than what I had in mind: imagine an external pump connected to 4 resevoirs via tubes.... I'm no engineer by any means xD But at least it has been brought up before. Can't wait to see where the Peachy production ends up at :P

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567