Close

LCD Display connection - any risk if not configured?

Sorry for being a pain on my first day. I think this might be the last question for a little while.

Just bought a used Prusa i3 RAMPS 1.4 printer. Seems to be working. The previous owner was actually the 2nd owner (he upgraded and sold this printer), so he's not the builder and doesn't know what firmware is loaded on the Arduino.

It came with extra parts and spares (very nice). One of the things included is the LCD display board. Looks like it was never used, since it's still in the original static protection bag. Also, no mounting holes in the frame. The display is a 20x4 configuration, with switch and buzzer on the board.

Question: Is there a risk in connecting the LCD board if the firmware isn't configured for a display? We don't know what firmware was loaded, and I'm not at the point where I want to try loading new firmware.

Question: If it does support the board, what kinds of things does the LCD interface do?

Thanks.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    No risk if not configured or connected. It'd help knowing what you're working with, but the LCD panel usually has an SD card that can be used to store GCODE files. That, along with the LCD display, can allow you to print standalone without any connection to a laptop or desktop computer. Some of the printer settings can be manipulated in real time through the display, but many of those can be accomplished through commands sent from host software (like Pronterface) just as well. I rarely used the SD card for gcode storage/standalone printing, and used the LCD display as a quick-glance monitor on the hot end temperature, print bed temperature, and Z axis height.