Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Presenting to you the World's First Condom Powered Handgun

Designer and maker James R. Patrick has tried his hand at developing a 3D printed gun. Aside from the firing pin, which is a roofing nail, and the spring system, which he designed as made from rubber bands, the entire piece is 3D printed. The folks at FOSSCAD were intrigued by the idea and as part of testing it, substituted condoms for the rubber bands. It appears to be equally effective and a whole heck of a lot more entertaining. Read more about the condom-powered 3D printed gun in the full story: http://3dprint.com/66522/3d-printed-condom-hand-gun/
    Below is the photo of Patrick's design, the Songbird gun:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Oh great, another printable handgun.

And one even a complete idiot could make. Yep that's what the world needs :-)

So is this still illegal in some american states ?

And no I won't be dowloading these files either :-)

Despite the subject, it's a very neat design.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    I am sure the Kalifornia is already drafting legislation to limit the size of the condom used to power it. "If we can save just one child, its worth it." seems to be the prevailing wind thees days.

:-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

It is perfectly legal as long as they are not sold. I am all for it. A lot of people make there own. It's a hobby just like anything else.
    http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

So you can make and carry an unregistered handgun and as long as you don't sell it - that's legal ?
    Wow.

Engineer-in-Training
    So you can make and carry an unregistered handgun and as long as you don't sell it - that's legal ?
    Wow.
    Yup.... In most states you can open carry it without a permit. Guns only have to be registered when you buy them from a dealer. You can buy one from a private party and it doesn't have to be registered. I have 4 that are all unregistered.

Oh great, another printable handgun.

And one even a complete idiot could make. Yep that's what the world needs :-)

And no I won't be dowloading these files either :-)

Despite the subject, it's a very neat design.
    This is a single shot firearm. Before 3d printing, these were called zip guns. a rubber band, a metal tube, and a nail is all the bare parts you need. and since you are using solid metal tube you don't have to limit yourself to .22 rounds like this firearm. Having a device to fire bullets that "even a complete idiot could make" is not a new thing.

Student
    Cosmetically speaking this is a huge leap from the original liberator pistol. This is one Id actually like to print. I would probably replace the condom with something else though...