Close

Technician

Quick Octoprint Questions

I just got octoprint and am not sure which serial port or baud rate to choose from. Ive tried setting both to auto but that just says connecting but never connects. Im using a rambo board but not sure if that matters or not. Also, is it normal for the pi camera to have a 10-15 second choppy lag?

Thanks!

you want your baud rate to match whatever is set in your firmware, and it should use the one that says ACM0

I also use a rambo board and have no trouble connecting

as to the pi camera i dont know i use a logitech webcam

Technologist
    I found that the pi camera would be choppy sometimes using the wireless network connection. If you are using a wireless connection, try hooking it up wired to see if the problem goes away. I originally was using the Wi-Pi wireless card which is only rated at 150Mbps. My choppy video went away when I switched to a card rated at 300Mbps. I am now using a Panda 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1K5RDMQ6V4659

Technician
    Thanks Sniffle what you said worked. I hooked up a different wireless adapter that is 450Mbps and I am still experiencing choppy movements. The image quality does look better though. Ill let this go for now.

Lastly can anyone explain how to view and control your print from outside your home wifi network? Ive been reading around and haven't found anything clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnupp View Post
    Lastly can anyone explain how to view and control your print from outside your home wifi network? Ive been reading around and haven't found anything clear.
    As no one has replied, I'll try to give an explanation as to how I employed black magic (and pure luck) to get access to my system over the web.

1. You will need either a static I.P. address from your service provider, this is rare so we'll deal with the changing IP address scenario. Sign up with a Dynamic DNS Service (Google DDNS Service) once completed you will have a URL that will access your home system.

2. The above URL will be fine until your ISP changes your I.P. address, so you need to configure the router to interact with the DDNS service to keep the I.P. address up to date. Most modern routers will have a built in service to do this, in my case I am using an ASUS router and the DDNS can be accessed under the WAN settings. Save/Apply the new settings

3 Once the router is set up, the URL you got from the DDNS service will always track to the I.P. address provided by your ISP, even when they change it. Now you need to direct incoming connections to the Raspberry PI. Your router should support Port Forwarding, so go there and fill in the blanks In my case the router needed the following:
    Service name Descriptive text
    Port Range Port Number you will use when accessing from the web, I used 8082.
    Local IP IP address of the Raspberry PI on your LAN
    Local Port Port Number for OctoPi = 80
    Protocol I used TCP
    Save/apply these settings.

4 I also put a second entry in for the camera.
    Port Range I used 8084
    Local IP IP address of the Raspberry PI on your LAN
    Local Port Port Number for Camera = 8080
    Protocol I used TCP
    Again, save/apply the settings

5 It should work! To access type in the URL given by the DDNS service followed by the port number

mynewurl.com:8082 should connect. It is best to check this on a computer not connected to the home network to confirm you really are connecting through the web and not through your LAN.
    Last edited by ex-egll; 05-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.