Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technologist

Plastic X-Idler Plate to replace Wood Parts

Before I take my printer apart to test the plastic X-Motor Mount, it just seemed to make sense to work on the X-Idler plate also, especially since most of the hole patterns are the same. I had some nice suggestions on the design of the X-motor, so thought I would post a photo of the X-Idler model to see if anyone has some ideas for enhancements to this. I just made it as a simple plate, but could add a little reinforcement to it along the top or middle. I followed the same curve design as I used on the X-motor mount design. I will probably add another hole to the upper right as well.
    X-IdlerPlate_rev1.jpg

Technologist
    Does anyone know what that small hole at bottom center of the X-Idler plate is for? Does anyone use that hole for some purpose?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    Does anyone know what that small hole at bottom center of the X-Idler plate is for? Does anyone use that hole for some purpose?
    Don't know of anyone who has used it. When I built my i3v-8, I figured it might have originally been for a screw to be used with the original Z-endstop switch, similar to the screw on the Y-bed used with the Y-endstop. It's not in the right position for even that, but that's the best I could come up with.

Engineer
    If you're making it to be paired with the X motor plate, then I'd add the strengthening "welds" you used on the X motor plate, even if they're not needed for strength. Just decorative to make them look similar.

And I'd make it more symmetrical. What's that notch in the bottom right for?

Technologist
    That notch on my version was used to add the Z-endstop adjustable bolt. While I am at this, I should upgrade this to something newer. What type of adjustable Z-endstop are most people using now? I see at least a couple of different ones on thingiverse. Here are the ones that I found. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:545105 and this one, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:321810 I have added the extra welds & will take out that little bolt hole & notch.IMG_7863_800x600.jpg

Technologist
    Here is the latest image of the X-Idler Plate design.X-IdlerPlate_rev3.jpg

You've got that coming along nicely! whats left? Y wooden pieces, a Display holder, and the main Frame and supports?

well done sir... we'll be printing i3V's before you know it :-P I am really hoping the Main frame comes out stronger and lighter than the wooden one :-) I'll be printing everything and revuilding my printer from scratch if you keep this up...

Technologist
    I am working on a one piece LCD holder also and 1st test print of that was close, but the circuit board was a little tight. My reason for doing the LCD panel was to see if I could mount the raspberry PI on its side with power cord pointing down & mounted behind the LCD panel. I will probably get back to some of my other projects after these are finished.

Engineer
    My Z endstop is on the X carriage for ABL.

Technologist
    I changed this to match the similar style change I did for the X-motor taking out the upper & lower right holes. This also leaves the notch in the lower left for those using the notch for the z-endstop micro adjust like I am. This symmetry is carried to the upper right so it does not really look like a notch anymore. The ledge on the outer top & bottom start on that curve about 6.5mm above & below the alum. extrusion so it should miss the X-limit switch for those that have it still on that side like I do. Here is a photo of the current design. I hope to print it today.X-IdlerPlate_rev8.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast