Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Help with Print.

So I have a Prusa IV3 12" with Rumba running the stock firmware from the installation guide. I have upgraded the X and Y idler to use the gear instead of the bearings. I also have a cooling fan (Not the Clough design).

I am having issues when printing cylindrical object. It specifically looks like the problem is coming from when the printer finishes a layer and then proceeds to the next. When doing so I believe it is oozing and leaving behind lots of errors.

I have tried to fix the oozing with retractions up to 2.5mm and other things including increasing the Z Axis speed. I am using Simpfly3D and can include any details you would like.

I am including two pictures the first shows the errors from the outside on the left and the right. Please note, if you look in the middle the layer adhesion actually looks rather nice. The second photo shows the inside of the print where you can see the extra material from the oozing.:

http://i.imgur.com/FfSPuGm.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/BwOuQD3.jpg

I would like to know what 3D Print board would recommended? My current settings below:

Retraction Distance: 2.00mm
    Retraction Speed: 45 mm/s
    Coasting Distance: 0.20 mm

Technologist
    On the off chance you're using ABS, and you're printing at something like 250C, I'd suggest experimenting by re-printing the object with incrementally lower temps..., perhaps try 240, then try 230.

The MF recommended ABS temp of 250 is a "bit" on the hot side, and can diminish the effectiveness of retraction.

OTOH, if none of that applies..., never mind!

Engineer-in-Training
    I apologize this is with PLA at 210*

Technologist
    ..., then I would try slowing down retraction speed, to perhaps as low as 15mm/s, but play with it incrementally of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I apologize this is with PLA at 210*

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
    ..., then I would try slowing down retraction speed, to perhaps as low as 15mm/s, but play with it incrementally of course.
    I have tried speeding up retraction, why would you want to slow it down? I am just curious and wanting to learn?

Also, I have noticed when changing from one layer to another it takes a while for the x carriage to rise.

The machine is not capable of that retraction speed..15mm should be the max.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    The machine is not capable of that retraction speed..15mm should be the max.
    I will certainly change it!

Engineer-in-Training
    So I have changed the feed rate to 15 mm/s and I am still receiving the same artifacts. Could it be the Z axis is moving too slow?

Have you changed those settings in the past?....Mine are all default from S3D
    by the way are you referring to the line of blobs on the side of the print where the layer change occurs?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    Have you changed those settings in the past?....Mine are all default from S3D
    by the way are you referring to the line of blobs on the side of the print where the layer change occurs?
    That is exactly what I am referring too, the side where the layer change occurs it leaves behind that weird trail.

I have tried a lot of settings in S3D to get it to print well. Which it does, it just has problems with thin walls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast