Close

Lightbulb functionalized filaments

Hi community,

I'm new, but I'd like to start a discussion right away!

About me: 27 yo, BSc. Material Science, from Germany near Nuremburg.
    I've been involved with 3D printing since the last two years. Since then I built quite a few 3D printers (mainly MendelMax 2.0) and am very happy with my results and the experience I've made. I also constructed a filament Extruder (Bachelor thesis) which was a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time (but mostly fun ). You can look it up on thingiverse (JuliusG, filament extruder).

As much as I love tinkering with 3D printing and filament extrusion I am missing functionalized filaments. I know there are a few flexibles or conductive (more or less) or pretty strong fibre reinforced filaments out there...but limited. These things are coming, I know, don't get me wrong! But I would like to know how you feel about this? What would you like to have or where would you like to see improvement?

I'm thinking about: anti-bacterial, porous, hardly inflammable and thermo resistant, more conductivity, acid resitant, adjustable transparency and flexibility...tell me your fantasies

What your opinion on this? Thanks for your replies!

Julius

Engineer
    I have just recently read about 2 new filament's, one is anti-bacterial like you said (there is a competition for it on MyMiniFactory currently) and also another one on this same forum about a super conductive filament. I think the problem with heat-resistant to a point is, we need to heat it up to print with it. So that's going to limit thing's to current desktop printer heat's. Transparent filament's keep coming out better and better, I just bought a sample of the new HD glass from FormFutura, it's pretty transparent, not "glass" not it's probably the best I've used yet.

I would like to see more metal-based filament's that have great post-process option's to them. I would also like the price's of those filament's to come down in price :P Also, a legit wax filament would be really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I have just recently read about 2 new filament's, one is anti-bacterial like you said (there is a competition for it on MyMiniFactory currently) and also another one on this same forum about a super conductive filament. I think the problem with heat-resistant to a point is, we need to heat it up to print with it. So that's going to limit thing's to current desktop printer heat's. Transparent filament's keep coming out better and better, I just bought a sample of the new HD glass from FormFutura, it's pretty transparent, not "glass" not it's probably the best I've used yet.

I would like to see more metal-based filament's that have great post-process option's to them. I would also like the price's of those filament's to come down in price :P Also, a legit wax filament would be really useful.
    Hi Bassna, thanks for your reply!
    I read about his competition you mentioned with the anti-bacterial filament (didn't see the other one, do you have a link?). I didn't think about heat resistance but more like...it does not burn easily. No Flames. More like a thermoset plastic (I hope this is the right term in english). Where I see another problem with transparency may be due to the fact that you print small squashed stripes instead ob a smooth surface. This of course distorts the light coming through.
    I didn't print with transparent filament yet but I think post processing a transparent piece with some kind of transparent resin to even out the grooves might help.

Would yo use a wax filament for casting? What metal based filaments have you used so far?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not sure where you're looking to only find a 'few' functionalised filaments.
    There are so many flexible filaments I've just not got round to testing more than half. There are at least 4 conductive filaments, then you've got the carbon fibre and grapehene, too many varieties of pla too mention.

Rather than needing more filament types - I need a helluva lot more time to test the ones I've already got and there are more coming out each week.

As far as antibacterial goes - any filament with copper in is not only antibacterial it's anti viral.

I will disagree with bassna's desire for post processing filaments. I hate all the sanding and buffing - I just want it to print and look metallic :-)

Check out globalfsd.com for more funtionalised filaments than you can shake a 3d printed stick at.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    not sure where you're looking to only find a 'few' functionalised filaments.
    There are so many flexible filaments I've just not got round to testing more than half. There are at least 4 conductive filaments, then you've got the carbon fibre and grapehene, too many varieties of pla too mention.

Rather than needing more filament types - I need a helluva lot more time to test the ones I've already got and there are more coming out each week.

As far as antibacterial goes - any filament with copper in is not only antibacterial it's anti viral.

I will disagree with bassna's desire for post processing filaments. I hate all the sanding and buffing - I just want it to print and look metallic :-)

Check out globalfsd.com for more funtionalised filaments than you can shake a 3d printed stick at.
    Hi aardvark, thanks for your reply!
    I agree that there many varieties of one function but few functions. We have:

Thermochrome
    conductive
    water solvable
    flexible
    anti bacterial/viral
    metal infused
    wood/brick/sand
    extra strong/hard
    transparent
    magnetic

If you subtract all these where the function is due to the materials properties and those which just fulfill a "nice to look at" purpouse...there is few left. I was more thinking about new functions foreign to the materials intrinsic properties.
    But I get you, there is a lot going on but I wanted to provoke a little out of the box thinking . Like "muscle fibre" filament or like flexible in general and rigid as soon as you apply a current or something.
    Again thanks for your point! Thats what this Topic is here for.

Kind regards

Engineer
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ctive-Filament here is a link to the story on that "Super conductive" filament.

Engineer-in-Training
    UV stabilized ABS that is also V0 flame retardant would be nice.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah you're talking about smart fabrics.
    These are generally a composite of several different materials.

The only people currently doing this are mark forge. With their continuous filamet printer that prints kevlar, fibreglass, carbon fibre etc into a nylon substrate. .

I like the idea of a flexible filament that contracts.
    The main issue you have is that in order for it to be printed it has to be melted first.
    The blend of several different filaments being mixed/blended and extruded together, is where the smart printed materials will come from.

@Bassna

Thanks a lot!

@Todd-67

There is UV insensitive ASA from Material4Print which has similar properties to ABS. But I don't think ist V0 ... but I haven't checked so....maybe ^^

@curious aardvark

Yes! Sorry for the confusion thats more like what I was thinking about. I think a smart flexible filament would be awesome. Maybe it doesn't have to be controlled with electricity (wouldn't work anyway imho) but more like Nitinol with heat!
    Last edited by TCJG; 05-28-2015 at 02:23 AM.