Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Lewihe Play - A $77 3D Printer (in kit form)

Spain-based Lewihe has just introduced possibly the lowest-cost 3D printer to date, with their new Lewihe Play, which comes in kit form for only €69.00 (approximately $77). The Play, available now for pre-order through Lewihe's website (which has been experiencing incredibly high traffic since the announcement), comes with the iron plate structure, extruder support, print surface, metal shafts, and files with all the 3D printable parts, as well as a video demonstrating how users can mount their own components and put their fully customized FFF-based 3D printer together. Find out more specs and details on this remarkably affordable 3D printer in the full article: http://3dprint.com/67280/lewihe-play-cheapest-3d-print/
    Below is a look at the Play:

The Specs are:

• Print Technology: Fused deposition modeling
    • External dimensions: 210 x 210 x 250 mm
    • Build Volume: 105 x 105 x 130 mm
    • Filament: 1.75 mm
    • Print Material Options: Print rigid and elastic filaments
    • Compatibility: Compatible with almost all extruders and hot ends
    • Software: Cura, Repetier, Pronterface, Octoprint and more
    • 3D Model File Types Excepted: STL, GCode, OBJ
    • Printer Weight (fully assembled): 2.5 kg

Engineer-in-Training
    Looks like a nice printer, but I'm not sure I would call this a $77 'printer'. It still requires motors, extruders, hot ends, and electronics, which could still cost $200 extra. Effectively you're buying just the frame and a few small components. It's really no different than buying a metal Prusa i3 frame, or printed components for a Mendal or Kossel...

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    Looks like a nice printer, but I'm not sure I would call this a $77 'printer'. It still requires motors, extruders, hot ends, and electronics, which could still cost $200 extra. Effectively you're buying just the frame and a few small components. It's really no different than buying a metal Prusa i3 frame, or printed components for a Mendal or Kossel...
    And once you add all that up, I highly doubt it is worth it to go that route.

Dear 3DPrint,

It is in extremely BAD TASTE that many of your articles propose FALSE claims. This is just ONE MORE example of such. This is NOT a $77 3D Printer. It is a $77 SHELL for a POTENTIAL 3D Printer. There are way too many components that need to be sourced and correctly installed by potentially unwary consumers. Please use more accurate headings in the future.

Sincerely,
    Snowdreamer2000

Agreed, when you add on the other components this isn't that much of a bargain.

I think I'll market a $1 printer. The cheapest ever. You get a 10m length of 1.75mm orange PLA filament – just add printer frame, steppers, bed, belts, electronics etc. as needed. Not only the cheapest printer ever, but also the most configurable – the ultimate flexible specification.

I will be launching a COMPLETE printer for under 115$ hopefully under 100$ soon. Surprisingly there are some similarities in my frame but it's quite simplified from their version. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me. It's accurate and simple .1mm accuracy with build approx 120mm cubed.

Engineer
    Picture of your kit please?