Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

A unique device for painting 3D prints comes to Kickstarter

Keith Redmond says he's just completed his design for the 3D Model Painter, a device designed to paint models using a rotating stage, 3D software and sensing technology to selected the areas which require painting via a spray system. The final prototype is currently being built in China and will ultimately be produced in Ireland if the Kickstarter goal is met. It must be said that while the project is woefully thin on details - there are no examples of the device at work - Redmond says it's capable of taking a 3D printed model and applying the necessary colors via an included software program by moving the target model on a rotating table as paint is applied. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/66183/painter-3d-...r-kickstarter/

I think it is a big heap of poppycock
    Nothing in that campaign convinces me to make an investment of that magnitude.
    It's one of the most expensive KS-items I've seen to date and one of the least convincing campaigns.
    If it is all true it would be awesome, but not even even a single picture of an object supposedly painted with a beta version of the product?
    Pass.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    at the end of the day, there are at least 2 systems that will convert most 3d printers to print full colour models in the works. Which should be available before this and at a much lower price.

It's an interesting idea and if it also doubled as a 3d scanner then it might just be worth the money.

ie: it scanned the model, you printed it and then using the scan data it painted the printed mono colour model. That might conceivably be worth the money.