Close

Printing goes skew due to broken X-axis connecting wires

I have been printing quite a bit with my flashforge but have been having problems with prints going skew due to the fact that the X-axis wire keeps breaking after a couple (60) hours of printing I have since replaced the spare cable as well as repaired my original and would appreciate any advice to overcome this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    I have been printing quite a bit with my flashforge but have been having problems with prints going skew due to the fact that the X-axis wire keeps breaking after a couple (60) hours of printing I have since replaced the spare cable as well as repaired my original and would appreciate any advice to overcome this problem.
    Sounds like you need some sort of strain relief. The sort of failure you describe sounds like a metal fatigue situation. Support the wire near the motor so that it can't flex at the connection. Then make sure that the wire bends over a large arc when the carriage moves. Avoid any sort of localized, sharp bending as this will quickly break the wire. Also make sure the weight of the wire doesn't bear on a sharp bend or a connection where the insulation is cut away.

HTH.

That has been a problem with the Replicators for some time, I guess the FF inherited it as well. Have changed the wire in our Replicator XL a couple of times. It is a tough spot to really resolve the issue.

Email address Lisa Zheng FF

Does anyone have an email address for Lisa at FF so I can source new wires I guess I will have to regularly replace the wires when this happens or source someone who can make them cheap locally.

I do enjoy the printer and actually use it to manufacture small cad designed parts with so I believe from what I have read that this is a fairly sturdy machine for it's price and size