Close

Using a 3D Printer That's been Turned Upside Down and on its Side

Have you been wondering what it’s like to 3D print in space? The team over at Maker’s Muse decided to have Angus take on some interesting projects in 3D printing. With the true goal being to experiment with 3D printing in zero-G, in order to make it a well-rounded project, Angus used his UP Plus 2 3D printer to do a regular print in red PLA printing both 20 and 60 mm spheres. He did the same in the upside-down print as well as a sideways print. With rather disappointing results, everything turned out pretty much the same, yielding little if no disaster. Read more about Maker's Muse's experiment in the full article: http://3dprint.com/62797/3d-printing-upside-down/

Below is a look at Angus' machine printing sideways:

Wow great to see this type of innovative models. I've seen models launched by Made In Space. They are really awesome...3d printing marketplace gonna be a future revolution ..change the course of the future.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    We have the UP 3DP as well & we're curious to replicate this, if anything for shits & giggles.

Student
    Follow GadgetBoy3D On Twitter Add GadgetBoy3D on Facebook Add GadgetBoy3D on Thingiverse

3D Printing Upside Down

We wanted to try this for a while and finally did it on one of our Flashforge 3D printers. The quality of the print was great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah, you can't replicate printing in zero g unless you are in zero gee.

It's not like the experiments growing plants under zero g where they grow them in constantly rotating environments to confuse their sense of gravity.

You'll never get the kind of over and under hangs you can get away with in null g environments.

Plus the guy in holland who builds the rails for ultimakers to print huge prints upside down - did this some time ago :-)

Guess it's fun - but ultimately completely pointless ;-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I might run my kossel upsidown, it will flip pretty easily.. I wonder if i'll get dribbles... will it be a better print? why haven't I tried this before....
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Follow GadgetBoy3D On Twitter Add GadgetBoy3D on Facebook Add GadgetBoy3D on Thingiverse
    It IS fun...

We actually want to test a few more this way - there does seem to be a difference (worth exploring).

Drop your printer from a Tall Building !
    It will be in Zero-G for a Little while .