Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatye View Post
    I've been uploading a bunch of videos of my Makibox printing, and YouTube keeps taking them down because apparently they sound like copyrighted music. Maybe the Peachy will be the same, but it's even easier to record the music it produces!

It'd be an interesting bit of steganography - who can design an object that results in the Peachy software generating music? Can the object be banned for copyright infringement?
    So many interesting, unintended consequences.
    Governments may let people enforce all kinds of things, The question is dose it make sense....
    All I know for sure is i love that you brought this up

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatye View Post
    I've been uploading a bunch of videos of my Makibox printing, and YouTube keeps taking them down because apparently they sound like copyrighted music. Maybe the Peachy will be the same, but it's even easier to record the music it produces!

It'd be an interesting bit of steganography - who can design an object that results in the Peachy software generating music? Can the object be banned for copyright infringement?
    Seems unlikely, given that the Peachy runs on amplitude modulation. You'd only get the same note over and over, except for the frequency shifts used to shut off the laser.

Technologist
    Ah, yes. Good point. Still, I'll bet that YouTube's automated "sounds like copyrighted music" system will find something similar and happily remove the videos.
    Last edited by Slatye; 01-30-2014 at 07:18 AM.

I am more interested in the reverse relationship. Can you make a song that results in the peachy printer printing an object? Can you secretly embed an object in a song such that you wouldn't know it was there when you listened to the song?
    Last edited by LinkReincarnate; 02-15-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I know nothing about this, but the guy who makes music as Aphex Twin embedded an image of his face in a song that could be seen in an spectrgraph. Well written article here http://www.bastwood.com/?page_id=10

Technologist
    That's a pretty cool idea. Presumably if the Peachy's amplifier has a pretty tight band-pass filter on it then you might be able to do something like that.

Obviously scale would be completely messed up. The X-Y scale depends on how high the Peachy is above the resin (which depends on the installation) and the Z scale depends on the drip rate. However, many objects (eg. a 3D model of a face) would be recognisable even with very substantial scale errors.

I suspect the bigger indicator that there was extra data embedded would be the length of the track - for a nice Peachy print you'd probably have tracks at least half an hour long. That'd be suspicious when most tracks are more like 3 - 5 minutes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234