Close

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Student

Success first time out

I am new to 3D printing, however have been at my local hacker space and have used their machine (TAZ LulzBot), so I am using the setup that I've seen used over there.

Setup took a couple of mins.... It was all of 6 screws and then putting the included tape onto the print bed. On one of the corners of the heatbed I had to remove the washers because with them in place I was not able to set the height to a decent level. I used a thick sheet of paper to set the height (similar to business card stock thickness), once the paper was able to move freely under the nozzle 2 inches from each corner of the heatbed I left it alone. In the G-Code setup on Cura, I told it to use the temps of 218 for the extruder and 70 for the bed hoping I would get a decent print. Things seemed to work ok with this first print at 25% fill (probably overkill). The 1.75mm PLA being used was bought over at FRY's Electronics for $25 (1kg spool)

wanhao_i3.jpg

cellphone stand.jpg

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Not a bad price at all

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    I may have spoken too soon on my previous excitement about this printer. I've cross-posted this to Google Groups, but thought maybe someone here may have a repair solution, in case Wanhao doesn't come through.

My unit printed fantastically for a couple days, but now it doesn't seem to be able to heat up the extruder reliably. When I tell the machine to heat to PLA temperature, or load a GCode file, the temperature does nothing. It just sits at room temperature, and heats up a few degrees (to maybe 30 or so) from the radiated heat it absorbs from the hotbed. Then, if I play around with the cables, it will randomly start heating up. Sometimes (as in the attached video), it will heat ALL the way up to extrusion temperature. However, if I start actually printing something, it will immediately fall back down again, eventually back to room temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv4X3aZnNdw

I've contacted Wanhao, and they were initially fairly responsive, asking for more photographs. I provided more photos, but haven't heard back from them yet.

As a side note, I've also noticed that my unit is missing the vertical "CNC drag chain", and instead they've just wrapped the wires in something less protective. I'm wondering if that indicates that they had a problem with the wiring on my unit, played around with it, thought it was fixed, and then shipped (without replacing the drag chain).
    I would think one of the cables of the heater failed mechanically. I suggest you change (request to support) all the wires for the hotend.
    You can whip up a cable chain like this :
    https://www.youmagine.com/designs/pr...us-cable-chain

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    price wise wanhao seems to be dropping the cost.
    Now down to £326 in the uk - with delivery !
    $429 in the states. which is ONLY £270 ! That really is giving it away !

So under no circumstances should you yanks winge at the cost :-0)

This is my first post. I've been reading these forums for a while. I will be purchasing a 3d printer soon. It will be my first. I will be using it for some odd and end stuff but also to get my daughter familiar with the technology. She is 4, soon to be 5. The i3 Duplicator has me interested for my first 3d printer. I've tried to contact the company 4 separate times, 3 by email and 1 by phone, for the past week and a half and have yet to receive a response. I had some questions about the printer before purchasing. Their website says that I would receive a response within 24 hours. That hasn't been the case. Has anyone else had trouble reaching this company or had trouble with customer support?

3D printers are still far too early in their design stages to be used by children that young. 3D printers are NOT toys, especially very-open designs such as the i3. The nozzle heats to over 200 degrees Celsius, the ENTIRE BED heats to 60-100 Celsius. It's full of very hot and very heavy moving metal parts all over it. On top of that, it takes some knowledge to configure and make it work right, these aren't "hit print and go" printers, the tech is still too early for that. Some materials such as ABS even release toxic fumes as you print.

These are definitely NOT for young children.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
    3D printers are still far too early in their design stages to be used by children that young. 3D printers are NOT toys, especially very-open designs such as the i3. The nozzle heats to over 200 degrees Celsius, the ENTIRE BED heats to 60-100 Celsius. It's full of very hot and very heavy moving metal parts all over it. On top of that, it takes some knowledge to configure and make it work right, these aren't "hit print and go" printers, the tech is still too early for that. Some materials such as ABS even release toxic fumes as you print.

These are definitely NOT for young children.
    I had no intention of letting her run the printer, I wasn't clear. She can help me design toys, and see various uses for it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and there are a load of apps on tablets that let you do that fairly easily now too :-)

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ReedRods View Post
    This is my first post. I've been reading these forums for a while. I will be purchasing a 3d printer soon. It will be my first. I will be using it for some odd and end stuff but also to get my daughter familiar with the technology. She is 4, soon to be 5. The i3 Duplicator has me interested for my first 3d printer. I've tried to contact the company 4 separate times, 3 by email and 1 by phone, for the past week and a half and have yet to receive a response. I had some questions about the printer before purchasing. Their website says that I would receive a response within 24 hours. That hasn't been the case. Has anyone else had trouble reaching this company or had trouble with customer support?
    From my experience with Wanhao, their direct support was poor. I went weeks w/o reply before giving up fixing my issues at my own cost. They never did actually reply fwiw. You will get the most support on their google forums. Which most contributions are largely from other customers, and a person who goes by the handle Jetguy rather than people directly working for Wanhao. While they offer a great value for the hardware you receive, the service is where I found they lacked. Still worth it imo. But to their credit, they do pay attention to those forums, and implement improvements. I have heard that their service was improving, but your experience sounds more like mine. Also to their credit, they do not delete fair criticisms on those forums.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ReedRods View Post
    I emailed them about a month ago, then again 2 weeks later when they didn't respond to my first two emails. Then I started emailing them every other day, trying to get their attention to have someone respond to ANY of my emails. I contacted sales, contacted support, sent the owner an email, messaged them on Reddit, left a message on their facebook. It's been about 6 weeks, I haven't heard back once. I'd say their customer service is absolute shit unfortunately. Oh, I was able to contact their overseas sales dept through aliexpress. The rep told me they don't handle sales for the U.S, but that she'd pass on a message letting them know to respond to my emails... I'm not naive enough to think she passed along any sort of message.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast