Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    The alternative has been around for a while, the chipset that came with the cartridge from Stratasys (SST 760 and 1200 ES) was cracked down by using a raspberri. It's safe play though, instead of breaking your 50k$ machine you break the cartridge that cast 200-400$.

I doubt that is hardly jailbreaking the system, instead it's the cartridge that has been faked.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    same thing as far as stratasys are concerned. And they could argue that by using unapproved filament you're still invalidating the warranty.
    Which is fine, as it's your call.
    But there is no way it should be prosecutable offence.

If you choose to 'break' your machine with dodgy filament - that's your choice. You can't stop stratasys - or anyone else, this is a test case after all - turning round and saying they won't fix it because you weren't using their aproved materials.
    They have the right to do that. But it would be insane to make it illegal.

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Invalidate the warranty - fine.

But you can't stop someone from modifying hardware they actually own.

Where does that stop ?
    ford prosecuting someone for changing their own tires ?
    Funny you mention that, I recently read an article about auto manufacturers considering this approach.

I agree 100%. Voiding the warranty is perfectly acceptable, but to make modification of items you own illegal, seems itself criminal. I hope this mind set gets shunned enough among consumers for them to let it go.

colorado.jpg

Pretty much says it all...

Engineer
    At this point they should just make a lease for the machine ....

Add postmahomeson on Facebook Add postmahomeson on Google+
    here is my point then what makes the difference if a company evades the rest of the economy through a blocking the rest of the company undesired companies would other wise be a fair game economy its like a work strike but in the sense of dictating an industry through whats called a monopoly here's a realistic example red eye already has a huge price for a 3d print like approximately $150/120 ml of an order for a simple unit price , stratasy owns red eye and do you think that is just a simple price, its because of a monopoly and ", here's a good article for the 3d printing news do you think stratasy would do the same tactic against the other companies as a monopoloy dictation of captalism,?" because thats about the price i got and i got e-mails to prove it thats why i went to a hacker space honest truth.

Add postmahomeson on Facebook Add postmahomeson on Google+
    i got an answer to that question look at post #16 in this thread

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    I finally found the previously mentioned article about auto manufacturers. It had been a while since I read it. Earlier, it didn't click that they were also citing DMCA as a reason to limit not only modification, but also car repair.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...s-car-repairs/

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    I'm nearly sure the market will respond negatively about this. It's possible that the market will reject this & boycott Stratasys products altogether.

Songs and films are illegal to download, nevertheless it took 10 years of people downloading for the companies to accept this and come back with a proper system and offer.
    Some of the biggest content sellers at the time lost supremacy to total newcomers.

If Stratasys can't accept that and adapt, they'll just disappear. Good riddance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12