Close

Warping with raft

Heyo, I recently got my hands on a FF Creator Pro. I've been working to get it dialed in with the ABS that was sent with it and I have been having pretty good prints so far. UNTIL this print. I've been getting warping on just one corner, at first I thought it was due to there not being a raft but once I reprinted with a raft it still continued to warp and even pulled apart some of the raft. The rest of the part printed really nice. Any suggestions?

WP_20150501_08_18_04_Pro.jpgWP_20150501_08_12_57_Pro.jpgWP_20150501_08_12_36_Pro.jpg

Senior Engineer
    I would suggest your bed is too low. That first layer is not mashed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nguggisberg View Post
    Heyo, I recently got my hands on a FF Creator Pro. I've been working to get it dialed in with the ABS that was sent with it and I have been having pretty good prints so far. UNTIL this print. I've been getting warping on just one corner, at first I thought it was due to there not being a raft but once I reprinted with a raft it still continued to warp and even pulled apart some of the raft. The rest of the part printed really nice. Any suggestions?

WP_20150501_08_18_04_Pro.jpgWP_20150501_08_12_57_Pro.jpgWP_20150501_08_12_36_Pro.jpg
    I just had the same thing happen. I had printed 3 or 4 parts with no warping, but on my next print it started warping. I found my bed had gotten way out of level and had to level it. I restarted the last print I did and as of this morning the print was going great with NO warping(still had 2 hours left to go).

Student
    How often are you guys finding you need to re level the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I will check mine every 5 or 6 prints. it just so happens that I had cleaned the bottom of my machine and had bumped one of the wing nuts and knocked it out. Does not take much. I did not check the bed after I bumped it and it had knocked it out by about .3 mm. I say check it often.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I do it routinely and always for a large build. I use a .004" .1mm feeler gauge. it's really quick.

Huh, alright Ill give bed re-leveling a try. I also had someone on reddit say that he was having a similar problem and said he fixed it by printing disks like this around the corners but that seems like kinda a lazy fix. Also I've been printing with the print bed cover tape that it comes with and its been working pretty well for adhesion. Even on this print the part that was failing wasn't the bond from the bed to the print but actually the layers of the raft. And lastly in response to Mjolinor, I don't think the bed is too high because it prints close when I don't use a raft but but I might need to adjust the raft settings so that it is lower. Ill try reveling and post an update sometime this weekend/early next week.
    Last edited by nguggisberg; 05-01-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Technologist
    What are you printing on? What HBP temp?

I printed a part which had similar warping, with a sled on my Creator X using only the stock Kapton tape and HBP at 110C and got only slight down curling.

Engineer-in-Training
    Also I've been printing with the print bed cover tape that it comes with and its been working pretty well for adhesion.
    If you are using that then there are some issues. I cannot get my parts off that material without almost breaking them. The leveling is a start as it sets the distance from the bed. What slicer are you using? If you can set the bed temp to 110 for the first couple of layers then back it down to 100. Same for the extruder. Start at 230C and then back it down to 220 or so. You have to play with a new spool to figure it out. I run a 90% first layer height with 125% width

ABS and other materials vary with color and manufacturer.I have a couple of small test parts that I created difficult geometry for knowing that they will work for larger builds due to their difficulty. When I load a new spool I run these parts to see where I stand settings wise for that roll.

These things can help with the leveling
    http://www.amazon.com/JW-Winco-Knurl...words=M3+knobs
    You really only need a .004 from what I found but I use them for other things.
    http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Bran...l+feeler+gauge