Close

Banned

Lomiko's Graphene 3D Lab File Patent for Graphene 3D Printing - Scam?

I want to post this with a bit of caution here. Being that the company behind all this news is a penny stock with a market cap under $8 million, makes this just a tad fishy. Lomiko Metals Inc. put out a press release this morning stating that they have filed for a provisional patent application for Graphene enhanced 3D printing materials.

Graphene is pretty much a miracle material. It is derived from Graphite, but is only 2 dimensions, as the thickness is just 1 atom. If you took a block of graphite and peeled off a layer that was just one atom in thickness you would have a sheet of graphene. It is a miracle materials because of it's strengths, electrical conductivity and lack of weight. It has been extremely difficult for scientists to figure out a method to produce sheets of graphene in any large quantities, so if a company could actually find a way to 3D print graphene, that company could open up a market perhaps worth trillions of dollars in the long run. This is pretty much what Lomiko's Graphene 3D Lab claims to working on. The press release can be viewed in full right here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...20-903487.html

I am extremely skeptical of this development as Lomiko is a very unknown company that specializes in the mining of graphite, and only 2 months ago the Graphene 3D Lab was announced. Not to mention the company executives are all relatively unknowns, and only have mining experience Opinions?

This is what graphene would loo like under intense magnification:
    Last edited by RedSox2013; 01-20-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I don't think it's a scam, but who knows. This seems to have a ton of potential. It basically means we will be able to print electronic devices if this all works out. Could be a huge breakthrough in 3D Printing. That is if it's true.

I have a feeling this is a scam. It's one of those ways to get a stock to jump in price. It happens with Penny Stocks a lot.