Close

Microsoft About to Introduce New 3D Printing File Format

Microsoft along with a brand new 3D printing consortium which we know includes HP, will be introducing a new file format specifically for 3D printable models next week at the Build Developer Conference in San Fran. The new format looks to replace the traditional outdated .STL format which was first introduced way back in 1989. More details on Microsoft's intentions for this new format can be found here: http://3dprint.com/60863/microsoft-3d-print-file-format

What do you guys think? Is a new format necessary? What should be some of the specs of the new format? Will Microsoft see success teaming with this new consortium to roll the format out to Windows 10?

.stl stands for Standard Tessellation Language, not stereolithography . SLA is the conventional acronym for stereolithography.
    STL is increasing accepted as an acronym for sterolithograpghy simply because some people have been using incorrectly and others have carelessly copied this mistake.

Engineer
    I am sorry, it's not going to happen..... even if they did make a new file, it's going to bebackfired from the open source community. There's no way microsoft, HP and other big brand will make it open extension. If they did make it proprietary, expect the community doing a breaktrhrough...

Senior Engineer
    If it involves Micro$haft then it just means they will take what the open community have done, wrap it in their expensive packaging and then shout loudly about how good they are.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    doesn't .amf already do that ?

I think the idea is a file that not only contains the model info but revision history and details on how to print it as well.
    .stl is a bit basic.

When more printers like the model-t are hitting the market then a file format that can be encrypted and contain all relevant information to load and print on specific printer models is a necessary requirement.
    As well as all the information for textures, colour, material types etc

So I guess microsoft is the first one to declare their format.

Student

Is 2D graphics language printing evolving to into 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Microsoft along with a brand new 3D printing consortium which we know includes HP, will be introducing a new file format specifically for 3D printable models next week at the Build Developer Conference in San Fran. The new format looks to replace the traditional outdated .STL format which was first introduced way back in 1989. More details on Microsoft's intentions for this new format can be found here: http://3dprint.com/60863/microsoft-3d-print-file-format

What do you guys think? Is a new format necessary? What should be some of the specs of the new format? Will Microsoft see success teaming with this new consortium to roll the format out to Windows 10?
    I was told that early drop-on-demand 3D inkjet printers used HPGL files to generate XY plotter data that could be printed repeatedly over itself to produce a 3D model (Pre-1990). Early STL files produced similar data but both of these techniques ignored the fact that some 3D models needed support structure. Another 2D to 3D file format was produced by writing vector lines by hand with AutoCad (1992). The plotter followed each vector line and printed it in a single material. A 2nd printhead with support material had its own vector lines offset by the drop diameter on the model perimeter or in regions where support was needed. This satisfied the support requirement in the first commercial drop-on-demand inkjet printer, the Modelmaker 6Pro in 1994. But all 3D printing companies prior to 1992 or later had to license the support patent to make 3D models. In the early 1980's machine language was written to produce text files. Early "raised" text was nicknamed 'alphabet soup" by the team seeing the overprinted "raised" inkjet text characters around 1982. No one called "raised" inkjet printing 3D printing until much later. Based on this I can see a new language HP or old 'revisited' language may appear.

I agree with the curious aardvark.
    It is ealisy understandable that MS/HP/etc. might want to create their brand file formats and own them... it's too bad that the article doesn't reference previous efforts by governing bodies. MS/HP making their own 3d file formats is about as shocking as them creating a .docx from a .txt.

The 3d printing community has been working to define an updated and encompassing file format much less archaic than the .STL. It is known as the .AMF. I first heard discussion of it in 2011 at the RAPID conference in mpls, (ASTM F2915-12 File Format AMF). I guess it is up to the developers and masses to make the choice what will evolve or which will die, regardless, an updated file format is definitely not a new concept.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by felds View Post
    about as shocking as them creating a .docx from a .txt.
    Micro$haft broke the law with the docx, it was not their format it was already owned. This is why Office no longer saves in that format, they would not pay the license fee.