Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Technologist

today...

All heat, no smoke.

Hot-end and heated bed are doing their respective things.

Progress.

One more (hopefully) trip to the HW store and should be ready to complete the wiring and begin testing.

Consider there to be ongoing grumbling about splicing the X-motor servo cable.

Yeah I didn't like that I needed to do that as well if I wanted to clean up my wires. In the end though I did enjoy how it looked more than how much I didn't like having to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
    All heat, no smoke.

Hot-end and heated bed are doing their respective things.

Progress.

One more (hopefully) trip to the HW store and should be ready to complete the wiring and begin testing.

Consider there to be ongoing grumbling about splicing the X-motor servo cable.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
    I checked earlier today, and it looks like the 12" I3V build guide has been updated with the RUMBA and pwr supply info, and FWIW, the build order is now correct for the RUMBA/Hexagon combo.
    And I just now checked the current 10" i3v build guide and it has seen similar updates. Good job Colin!

Student
    In one of Colin's videos he used one of the many extra cables, clipped off one female end and soldered to it a group of three terminals from a header strip turning it into a male piece. Heat shrank or taped the result then plugged it into the cable end that needed extension. When I added ABL to my printer I had to extend my RC Servo using this method. Worked fine.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    If you're into this hobby and specifically prusa variants, prepare yourself to do plenty of wire shortening, lengthening and managing. Soldering iron, solder, a fistful of tie wraps, heatshrink and a bic lighter will put you right. The kits come with plenty of extra wire in the RRD wiring kit.

If you want plug and play, I hear Ultimaker has a nice one.

Technologist
    Yup. And the making lemonade view is that what goes along with the difficulties are the prusa strengths, namely: excellent maintainability. While I'm grumbling about the wiring scheme, the thing I gotta remember is that when I brought it down to put on the workshop table so as to have 360deg access to everything..., I actually got it. I can't think of a single gizmo I've worked on of similar complexity for which I can say that.

..., and..., man..., I thought I had a pretty good stash of tie wraps..., but jeesh.

I guess a little status while I'm here: Probably won't be able to finish wiring today, too much pointless-useless-non-3d-printer-building stuff I gotta do instead.

Have decided that since the X servo cable has gotta be stupid long anyway..., might as well as take advantage of that and route it along the top and behind the frame.

Last night played with various temp settings. The indicated temps actually come up pretty quickly. The HE very quickly..., and the HB comes up to 100C (indicated) in probably less than 3 min. BUT..., the IR sensor shows much lower temps on the HB than what are indicated. So..., I'm guess's a proper warm-up includes a substantial heat-soak. Might get a silicon sheet to throw on top of the HB while heating.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    If you're into this hobby and specifically prusa variants, prepare yourself to do plenty of wire shortening, lengthening and managing. Soldering iron, solder, a fistful of tie wraps, heatshrink and a bic lighter will put you right. The kits come with plenty of extra wire in the RRD wiring kit.
    Per Bill The Cat: "thpppppfpppt!!!!"

If you want plug and play, I hear Ultimaker has a nice one.

Technologist
    Yah..., I saw that and thought my thoughts about that as well..., BUT..., it so happens (thaaaank youuuu Colin) that an extra fan was packed in the RUMBA box..., with a cable juuuuust long enough to permit wiring into one of the power blocks on the RUMBA.

So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
    In one of Colin's videos he used one of the many extra cables, clipped off one female end and soldered to it a group of three terminals from a header strip turning it into a male piece. Heat shrank or taped the result then plugged it into the cable end that needed extension. When I added ABL to my printer I had to extend my RC Servo using this method. Worked fine.

Technologist

Boggled...

Wow. It was all a bit anti-climactic. It just worked!

Don't have the time to summarize the build, but I'll say that I'm glad about my decision to build this particular printer. That decision was based in large part on the repeated success so many others have had, and I'm happy to have shared in that experience.

As an aside, my Dad's wife was feeling under the weather y'day, and she loves owls. So I figured "why not?". Headed over to thingiverse and downloaded this:

Started this immediately after the cube finished. Got up this morning and...

Gonna head downstairs and continue to cleanup the workshop. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    Last edited by lakester; 05-10-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Congratulations, impressive first prints.

Technologist

16 hours and 49 minutes later...

Was looking for something with a little height. I really picked the wrong thing, but it ended up being an interesting experiment anyway.

At the very least, I need to secure the printer to a rigid and stable surface. Still, if this is the worst it does in less than ideal circumstances..., it's not too bad.

https://youtu.be/BAD4ikaqFhE

Will be interesting to see what mods things like this might lead to...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast