Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

FABtotum Personal fabricator

FABtotum - the Multipurpose Open Source Low Cost Personal Fabricator. Scan, 3D Print, Cut/Mill. A seamless interaction between the digital and physical world.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fabtotum-personal-fabricator/x/1009607

this Looks very intresting an it is much more than "only" a 3D Printer.

3D Printer, Mill, 3D Scaner, and with additional Head also a Laser Cutter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sinistros; 10-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.

I agree, this looks quite amazing. I love the fact that it is basically an all-in-one 3D printer. What does "Mill" mean?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Critter View Post
    I agree, this looks quite amazing. I love the fact that it is basically an all-in-one 3D printer. What does "Mill" mean?
    Presumably it also does CNC milling, so you've got both additive and subtractive capability.

Student

It looks like Video linking work not fine ....
    Last edited by Sinistros; 10-04-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Student
    Goal 5 is reached and the FABtotum go a 5 axis.

The 6 Goal will be a muscle update.

Sinistros, is this your project. Just wondering because I know how you could get some more backers if it is.

By the way, this is amazing and likely how the future will look.

Student
    Hir Riskerbus, sorry no, this is not my project, I am just ab backer, I backed for a DIY Kit.
    I think, this a fantastic project and it worth it to find more backers.

Student
    7 Days left and $481,896 from the $500,000 for update 6 reached

STRETCH GOAL6: MUSCLES UPGRADE
    this upgrade consist in 4 main changes some of wich already have their way paved by previous stretch goals:

1-Belt Upgrade: we'll change the belt drive system, switching to H-Bot to improve the XY movement force. The current setup can "push" around 60N, when we are finished we should be able to "push" 120N. those are not final specs but a comparative measurement of the expected improvement!

2-Motor upgrade. this is primarly intended as an advanced check on motor control board performances to improve torque and sync between XY motors.

3-Milling motor upgrade: We are scrapping the onboard 30W DC motor to include a more powerful AC flexible shaft motor turned on/off by the onboard relay. Introducing a bigger tool can speed up cutting times and expanding the material range of the FABtotum. It still won't cut much harder materials, but that's an improvement!

4-Structural upgrade: We are revisiting the structural panels on the side of the machine.FEM analysis will be used to choose the right material that's both light,strong and allows sound dampening.Stretch goal #6 is set at $500k

Student
    Stretch goal #6 is reached !!!

We are seriously running out of smart sentences to fill these updates!
    It is, as a matter of fact, the sixth time we reach a goal thanks to the outstanding support of our backers.

With stretch goal #6 unlocked we will improve the structural integrity of the FABtotum, switching to an H-BOT configuration (increasing the machining strenght and acceleration) and increasing the power onboard milling motor, so that more materials will be easier to cut,engrave and carve.
    Also the stepper motors will be pushed harder with a thermal study.
    We started working on some configurations (you can see some examples here) and some solutions to the side panels with noise dampening.
    We also have boxes full of components laying around waiting to be moved in our new spaces (soon,hopefully!). Investing and improving the FABtotum has always been out no.1 goal since the beginning.

An example of a WIP h-bot configuration prototype.
    With this incredible goal, not only we'll deliver more on the same vision but we reach a point where investing in the R&D and manufacturing engineering is seen as a good investment and we can shift from industrial off-the-shelf components to custom-made industrial components, reducing the assembly times.
    That's because quantities are on our side now! more than 450 FABtotum have been claimed.
    2700 linear motion bearings, more than 900m of tempered stainless steel rails and More than 1km of polyurethane steel-reinforced belts!
    If you stack all those things together it won't be as height as our gratitude right now! <3

Next Stretch goal?
    Our journey is now close to an end and (we think) a quick stretch won't be respectful to the complex work being done here. It won't be respectful to our backers too,since we already committed to very challenging upgrades to the original concept that will require us to focus 24/7 on development.
    But don't be afraid. Whenever there will be an opportunity, we'll be the first in line to grasp the chance to improve our design, even after the campaign is over. Just be there to guide us in the process with your feedback as you did, and the next goal will always be the best one yet!
    Team expanding
    Time has passed and we aren't a team of 2 anymore.
    With us others have been dragged in this adventure, with special expertises in electronics and mechanical engineering.
    We'll update the blog soon with a team roundup!

the FABteam

I signed up a few weeks ago. Can't wait to get it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast