Close

Possible to print replacement laptop chassis?

Hello!

I have a HP Pavilion g7-2292nr 17.3" laptop which is giving me serious issues, the plastic on the inside is breaking, the bezels near the hinges are coming off, and the screw-holes on the inside that support the hinges for the monitor are broken.

here is a photo of what the laptop looks like in general
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadm...91655e7e6d.jpg

Instead of spending 200+ on a replacement chassis, I was wondering if it is even at all possible to model up a replacement chassis for this laptop, 3d print it, and have it hold up? Or would the case be too thin to be strong enough for everyday use.

-Braeden

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it'd be strong enough - make it from pet and it'd be stronger. But man, given all the little bits and pieces it'd be a bastard of a job to model from scratch.

I have rebuilt a few laptops in my time.
    I recommend epoxy putty and a cavalier approach to how it looks afterwards :-)
    Completely rebuilt the hinge mountings for one of those a couple years back. Worked a treat. 2 part easy use expoy putty is the way to go :-)

The other issue you're likely to have is the size.
    even the biggish 3d printers not in the industrial price range are ony going to be 12x12x12 - you'd need something that will do 17x17.

So, yes - it could be 3d printed - but not easily.

That said - if you can produce the cad file - somebody like shapeways could make you one out of industrial nylon. maybe not as rigid but practically indestructible.