Close

All3DP's Google Chrome Extension Allows For 3D Printing Direct from Thingiverse

Google Chrome, a popular web browser already packed with seemingly endless Extensions and Applications to enhance the browsing experience, has just seen a new addition to available apps. All3DP, based in Germany, and its 3DP.click subsidiary, has recently created a new Chrome Extension: 3D Print This Thing for Thingiverse. The app works by allowing a user to simply click the '3D Print This Thing' button on Thingiverse, which with the app will appear under the usual 'Download This Thing' button. Once the app checks the object's printability, the customer simply enters their billing/shipping info, clicks 'Order,' and awaits delivery within days after Sculpteo creates the piece. While this app isn't for everyone (it may be easier for slightly computer savvier folks to just order directly from Sculpteo, Shapeways, or another hub), it certainly adds ease to a beginner interested in the process. Learn more details about the new app in the full story: http://3dprint.com/57986/google-chrome-3d-print/

What about the designs that are posted under non commercial licenses? I suppose somewhere along the line both parties will make profit from this therefore turning the design into a commercial entity.

Student
    Today we launched our chrome extension for Thingiverse. They immediately took action against it and changed their site to block this extension. Thingiverse obviously does not want you to use it. We now uploaded version 1.126, which is working at this very moment. We are very sad about the reaction of Thingiverse and we are trying to find a lasting solution. Your All3DP team.

Do you not think the designers should have the final say if they want their designs to be manufactured and sold? If the license says non commercial then there should be some way of the functionality being disabled for those designs.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dfilemarket View Post
    Do you not think the designers should have the final say if they want their designs to be manufactured and sold? If the license says non commercial then there should be some way of the functionality being disabled for those designs.
    The designer definitely has the final say! 3D Print This Thing and 3dp.click are just very simple shortcuts to the following steps every user can do: download this model, register at Sculpteo, upload model to Sculpteo, configure material / finish / size, order model and send it to me. By the way, we don't charge anything for this service. Your All3DP team.

I only just come across this I think its raw others profiting from my/other models, how much commission is 3dp getting from Sculpteo and where the designer cut.

"We are very sad about the reaction of Thingiverse and we are trying to find a lasting solution. Your All3DP team" its sad you even tried this

"
    The designer definitely has the final say! " how please expend on that
    Last edited by jinx; 04-15-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah not a fan.
    chrome is currently a conduit for numerous viruses - my main objection to chrome itself.

But I can see thingiverses point.
    Nothing to stop anyone downloading an .stl file and then getting it commercially printed. But not sure I like tying it into a single print service.

That said, as long as the user is fully aware of what they are doing - I don't see any real difference between this and downloading the .stl file and sending it to a commercial print service.

maybe if the app gave you a wide choice of printing services and a small percentage of the cost went to the file designer - it would be better.