Close

Banned

3D Printed Canal House to Begin Construction in March

This is some pretty exciting stuff. A group of developers have set out to 3D print the first actual house, and perhaps many homes if this one works out as planned. 3D Print Canal House is the name of the project located in Northern Amsterdam. The team will use a large 3D printer which measures approximately 6 feet by 6 feet by 3 feet to print the home is several pieces on site. The printer used is called the Kamermaker, and from the looks of it can print at decent speeds and large sizes.

The construction on the first home along a canal will begin in just about 6 weeks. Here is a look at a model of what the construction process will look like:

The awesome thing is that the construction is open to the public to view. This means if you are in the area you can watch them print out the various rooms of the home. here is a video describing the 3D Print Canal House project:

Pretty cool stuff. I'll definitely be following the construction of this home. I wonder why they don't use larger printers though. 6X6X3 Feet seems rather small to me for a house.

Engineer
    I wondered the same thing. Seems like there is a lot of news within the housing industry about 3D printing as of late. the other tidbit was about contour crafting, which I think has a much much better likelihood of going mainstream, as it is a concrete pour rather than plastics. a plastic house just doesn't seem all that appealing to me.

I am seriously second guessing my decision to build a home this year. Contour craft can print the shell of a home in 24 hours. Image the cost savings to laying cinder blocks or building with wood. I'm going to guess that local construction outfits will not be using this technique for at least a few years though.

Looks like the printing ha begun on the Canal house: http://www.pcworld.com/article/21034...nal-house.html

The very first sections are being printed I beleive as we speak. Anyone here live in Amsterdam, who can maybe go take some pics?

Here is the latest update on the 3d printed canal house. The very first brick of the house has been completed. Take a look:

Engineer
    Just saw this. President Obama is in Amsterdam and just visited the 3D printed Canal House site. He also checked out a scale model of the house as well, with the Mayor of Amsterdam. Here is a picture: