Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a good filament extruder?

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a filament extruder in order to make my own filament. I've seen a couple of them:

The ExtrusionBot: advantage comes with its own spooling device
    The Filastruder: it comes as a kit and is less expensive
    The Filabot Wee: also a kit, and it seems very slow compared to the advertising literature of the others.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these or another option I haven't mentioned?

I'm tending towards the ExtrusionBot because it is fully assembled with a spooler.

Thanks much!

Have you confirmed your source of supply for ABS plastic before you shell out for the filament maker?

Old Man Emu

If it works well i would go with the ExtrusionBot,
    Its alot more nicely build and it rolls up a fillemant spool right away.

I did hear about Clogging problems with homebrew fillement, but thats probably due the pellets they use.

Right now I'm still exploring. I've seen several places with prices of $4-5 per pound or less.
    -
    A little learning is a dangerous thing.

The ExtrusionBot may look nice and have a spool built in, but the spool isn't functional-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRYBb6PPYU

There is no mechanism for supplying tension to make the filament hold flat to the spool, and there is nothing to make the filament spread across the spool rather than bunch in the middle. Also any excessive jerking from the spool is likely to stretch the filament at the nozzle ruining the tolerance.

You can get a FilaWinder with the Filastruder kit along with the laser cut enclosure and still come out $100 less than the ExtrusionBot. The ExtrusionBot extrudes faster, but I think you would find that the Filastruder will still make filament faster than you use it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
    Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a filament extruder in order to make my own filament. I've seen a couple of them:

The ExtrusionBot: advantage comes with its own spooling device
    The Filastruder: it comes as a kit and is less expensive
    The Filabot Wee: also a kit, and it seems very slow compared to the advertising literature of the others.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these or another option I haven't mentioned?

I'm tending towards the ExtrusionBot because it is fully assembled with a spooler.

Thanks much!
    There's a UK based company that make an extruder called the Noztek Pro, it's a ready made unit and looks quite good www.noztek.com

My buddy owns a Filabot, and I'm amazed by how simple it is to create filament using it. It would be nice if 3D printers could somehow incorporate this type of technology directly into their printers, to keep us from having to take the extra step.

Technologist
    I've been thinking of buying one of these aswell, but I worry about the fumes. The Filastruder looks the most ideal, considering its price.

How about E3D? Anyone has some experience?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast