Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10" Y Plate

Hybrid View

Technologist

10" Y Plate

With all the talk about the 12" Aluminum Y Plate, I decided to revisit my design for a 10" Y wood Plate substitute. I started redoing mine similar to the photo adamfilip shared
    & it morphed into this. I started playing with printing half or part of it to test the hole pattern & realized I might actually be able to make a functional
    Plastic Y plate. This reminds me of some of the quadcopter designs I have seen. I have not printed any of this yet as I thought some of you might be able to give
    some better ideas or tell me I am wasting my time making this out of plastic. Obviously, this would have to be printed in ABS or other plastic that is heat resistant. I attached a photo, scad file & stl files for your amusement. I drew the profile in draftsight & use openscad to generate the stl files. I rotated the stl files 45 degs. to fit
    on the build plate. The photo shows the 10" build plate in Magenta color (I made this reference 240mm square), the black vertical lines are the aluminum
    extrusions. The Blue profile is the bottom half, cyan is top plate. I added 4 extra wheel holes, mostly to be able to test the spacing of the holes with only
    half plotted. I probably only need 2 of those holes in the middle. I am not planning to use the square holes, but a plastic part to hold the belt. The Green rectangles
    along the Y axis will be bolted using those 8 bolt holes. I could put one on top & bottom to stiffen it more. It will probably need some more stiffening along
    the X-axis also which I could fix by adding a ledge underneath. I could also make the plate thicker for more strength, but probably need longer screws. I plan to print this in PLA in a day or so to test the hole spacing. If this does not work, I will probably look into having this made in aluminum at some point.

Thanks for taking a look at this & any comments will be helpful.
    -David
    YBuildPlate_10inchTestPrint_rev7.scadYBuildPlate_10inchTest_BottomSide_rev7_repaired.stlYBuildPlate_10inchTest_TopSide_rev7_TopSide_repaired.stl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technologist
    I have been working on this design off and on for a week now & it seems to be coming together. I won't know whether it will really work until I print all the parts, but after making the test prints it looks quite promising. If it comes out working, I will put the parts on thingiverse. It currently has 5 parts.
    1 & 2 parts for the bed itself to be printed diagonally on the build plate. I use 3 dovetail joints between these
    Part 3 is a plastic belt clamp which I modified from another belt clamp on thingiverse for an i3 printer. Shown in red color.
    Part 4 & 5 are plates to be bolted with M5 bolts to each side underneath on each side of the belt clamp (green color). I am hoping these plates will keep it from flexing at that center joint.
    Y-Bed_10inch_Assembly.jpgY-Bed_10inch_Assembly_Bottom.jpg
    Here are a couple of screen captures of what it looks like so far

Banned
    That looks awesome. I’ll be following this closely.

Technologist
    I printed all the parts in PLA at .2 infill to test for fit today. I plan to print the final part in ABS. I am getting some PETG plastic in a couple of days, so I may see how this prints with that. It is fitting pretty good. The plastic weight at .2 infill is 5.6oz for all the plastic & 10.2oz after I added all the hardware. I am printing on buildtak surface which holds it down pretty good, but the outside corners lifted a little, so I probably need to add some ears to those corners.IMG_7271_800x600.jpgIMG_7272_800x600.jpg

Engineer
    looking good

Technologist
    I did my 1st test fit taking the y-bed off & putting the plastic version on & ran into a couple of problems. The main problem is the extra reinforcing ledges I added at the ends will hit the motor in the back. I will just have to take the ledge out on that side to fix that problem as well as shortening the y-belt clamp some. I also forgot to add the screw hole for the limit switch screw (That was easy enough to fix at this point). All the holes seems to line up well. I noticed the original wood design has the wheels in the back further back whereas my design has them centered on the platform. That does not seem to cause any problem. The short ledges I put near the wheels might be a little too close to them, so I will shorten them. Back to the 3d drawing board. Here are 3 photos to show what the current version looks like.
    IMG_7278_800x600.jpgIMG_7291_800x600.jpgIMG_7293_900x600.jpg

Nice work!.... Would love to see a 12 inch version once its all completed.

Technologist
    I could probably make a 12" & 8" version once the 10" is done, but I would need the key dimensions for holes and size of bed.

Technologist
    I was not looking forward to redoing the y-belt clamp, but after finishing the redesign I am glad I did. It is half the plastic & 50mm long instead of 90mm. I think it came out well. Now I just to redo the one of the y-bed pieces to get around the motor.

IMG_7294_800x600.jpg

Student
    Looking good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast