Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Itty Bitty Double FLEX Extruder

Introducing the Itty Bitty Double FLEX Extruder:

IBDF-UpperRight-h.jpg

This is an evolution of the previous Itty Bitty Double Extruder with wider nozzle spacing and a shorter filament path to accommodate both E3Dv6 hot ends and flexible filament. It uses the same hardware kit as the Itty Bitty Double Extruder, so if you already built one, you can print out the parts and use the hardware you already have.

Key features:

• Designed for Hexagon or E3Dv6 hot ends on 27mm centers
    • Short, straight filament path to accommodate flexible materials
    • Uses the same hardware kit as the original Itty Bitty Double Extruder
    • NEMA 14 motors
    • Silent GT2 belt drives with printed pulleys
    • Integrated servo Z probe
    • Cam-lock idler bearing pins
    • Uses standard MakerFarm hobbed bolts
    • Lighter than a stock Accessible Extruder
    • Integrated hot end cooling
    • Mounting hardware for Prusa i3v printers

Please use this thread for questions and discussion.

*** A hardware kit is available ***
    Get it here

Links:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clough42; 04-20-2015 at 12:07 AM.

I was wondering when this would go live :-)

dual E3D V6's This is the first alpha a little bit has changed on it, but it's still a live pics vs a cad drawings.

just had wiring to go

all together but in my hand

checking positioning of part cooling duct

dry fitting with the 2nd E3D while the other was still printing

Hi Clough42, are integrating those changes into the single version? Or can it allready br used with e3dv6?

Great job C42!...One thing I would suggest to add to your website instruction page is the use of the PTFE Tubing for the 1.75mm setp. I should have mine all setup by tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    Great job C42!...One thing I would suggest to add to your website instruction page is the use of the PTFE Tubing for the 1.75mm setp. I should have mine all setup by tonight..
    I have included a block bored out to work with the E3Dv6 1.75mm with the PTFE tube. It's bored out to work with or without the fitting.

Are you looking for a PTFE tube version for the Hexagon?

Here are some photos of my setup. The big difference between the release version and the one sniffle is running are the cable management tie points.

And here's a totally ridiculous test print. It's a 1:10 short course truck tire. The black material is ABS and the red is NinjaFlex. Printed at 30mm/s with .2mm layers, it took 14 hours. I photographed it on the 8x8 printer bed for scale.

Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Dang, and I just finished printing and dry fitting the itty bitty dual. I guess the obvious questions to decide whether to redo it or not while waiting for motors are: How much am I going to print flexible material and how much x-axis travel is lost? Only I can answer the first part. Can you make sure I'm not off the deep end in my analysis of the second part?

My machine currently homes with the endstop as far right as it will go and the nozzle directly over the edge of the glass. It travels roughly 238mm (10" model) before the carriage hits the left z axis parts, but there is another 10-12mm of glass that is not used. Switching to dual extruders without doing anything else, the left nozzle will home at x=10 (itty bitty dual) or x~=13.5 (itty bitty flex) and the right nozzle will be the same distance off the glass in free air (-10 or -13). At the far left position the left nozzle may actually use the currently dead glass, but the right nozzle will max around 228mm (itty bitty) or 225mm (flex). So in either case the left nozzle will have basically the same travel I have now, but the right nozzle will limited.

If I can redesign the endstop I may be able to move the left nozzle back to the edge of the glass at home and so would get actually more x travel than I have now (hopefully the full advertised 250mm), but the right nozzle will still be limited to max x=228/225mm. Can't say that I care much about the 3mm loss on the secondary nozzle for itty bitty double vs itty bitty flex, but will have to keep in mind that only the left nozzle can reach >225mm.

Does that sound right?

All of this assumes, of course, that the nozzles are centered on the carriage and that nothing else (motors, etc) interferes with the frame.
    Last edited by jasay; 04-06-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by jasay View Post
    Dang, and I just finished printing and dry fitting the itty bitty dual. I guess the obvious questions to decide whether to redo it or not while waiting for motors are: How much am I going to print flexible material and how much x-axis travel is lost? Only I can answer the first part. Can you make sure I'm not off the deep end in my analysis of the second part?

My machine currently homes with the endstop as far right as it will go and the nozzle directly over the edge of the glass. It travels roughly 238mm (10" model) before the carriage hits the left z axis parts, but there is another 10-12mm of glass that is not used. Switching to dual extruders without doing anything else, the left nozzle will home at x=10 (itty bitty dual) or x~=13.5 (itty bitty flex) and the right nozzle will be the same distance off the glass in free air (-10 or -13). At the far left position the left nozzle may actually use the currently dead glass, but the right nozzle will max around 228mm (itty bitty) or 225mm (flex). So in either case the left nozzle will have basically the same travel I have now, but the right nozzle will limited.

If I can redesign the endstop I may be able to move the left nozzle back to the edge of the glass at home and so would get actually more x travel than I have now (hopefully the full advertised 250mm), but the right nozzle will still be limited to max x=228/225mm. Can't say that I care much about the 3mm loss on the secondary nozzle for itty bitty double vs itty bitty flex, but will have to keep in mind that only the left nozzle can reach >225mm.

Does that sound right?

All of this assumes, of course, that the nozzles are centered on the carriage and that nothing else (motors, etc) interferes with the frame.
    The nozzles are centered. If you only consider the bed area reachable by both nozzles, which is all you can use for two-material prints, you just lose the spacing width over a single extruder. So with dual, you lose 20mm, and with the flex you lose 27mm--half on each side. If you can physically increase the travel, you may be able to recapture some of the lost space by moving into areas that would have put the single nozzle off the glass.

For a single material print, you typically only lose half the spacing distance, because you can print out to the edge of the glass on one side. In your case, since you have extra glass on the left, if you print with the left nozzle, you may not lose anything.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    The nozzles are centered. If you only consider the bed area reachable by both nozzles, which is all you can use for two-material prints, you just lose the spacing width over a single extruder. So with dual, you lose 20mm, and with the flex you lose 27mm--half on each side. If you can physically increase the travel, you may be able to recapture some of the lost space by moving into areas that would have put the single nozzle off the glass.

For a single material print, you typically only lose half the spacing distance, because you can print out to the edge of the glass on one side. In your case, since you have extra glass on the left, if you print with the left nozzle, you may not lose anything.
    Alright. I think that's what my long spiel was getting at but much clearer and more succinct. Thanks.

BTW, are any of the parts (idlers & pulleys probably, carriage sides & servo arm [hexagon] maybe) shared with IBDE?

Quote Originally Posted by jasay View Post
    Alright. I think that's what my long spiel was getting at but much clearer and more succinct. Thanks.

BTW, are any of the parts (idlers & pulleys probably, carriage sides & servo arm [hexagon] maybe) shared with IBDE?
    Yes. The large pulleys and the spacers are the same. If you're using hexagon hot ends, the servo probe arm and the print cooling fan shroud are also the same. And of course the hardware is all the same. Depending on how much you cut up the insulator, you might be able to use it. If not, I have spares available.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast