Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by navkram View Post
    Valter,
    I have done both, if there is undercut detail in the figure you will have to go with a silicon mold pulled from a original, the reason for this is the silicon will allow you to be able to remove the part if there is alot of undercuts etc. it will stretch to be able to remove cast part. With a silicon mold you can re-use it many times and its pretty durable compared to a hard printed mold. If it is a simple (example hollow easter bunny) that has little detail like arms etc. you could print the mold, but with a printed mold it is rigid and have to think ahead on getting part out.
    check out http://alumilite.com for some great mold tutorials.
    the process is really dependent on the figure and end use. I have a model of a infants head from a customer that makes dolls, to cast this solid is not really feasible since the end product would weight around 5 pounds. so in this case my rotational casting machine fits perfectly to cast hollow parts. now the head weights ounces instead of pounds and functions perfectly for its intended use.

in short you should print the original vapor smooth or post process it however to get want you want and make a silicon mold of it.
    Thank you very much.

My 3D models (most them) are complex. So I'm thinking that a silicon mold will be the only way to get a good copy. navkram, just for curiosity. How many copies your silicon mold support with a sculpture with 20 cm tall? Polyester, polyurethane, vynilester Resin?
    Thanks again. Excuse my english.

You should be able to get a couple 100 copies depending on how careful you are with the molds and how well you take care of them (mold release) i am using a 2 part urethane air cure resin from alumilite.com

Thanks so much navkram.

Staff Engineer
    I imagine some of the flexible materials the Objet uses could work as molds directly. But it would probably be more cost-effective to print a positive form and make molds from it, since you could make multiple molds from each model. I like the idea of 3D-printed mold boxes, though; that could definitely minimize the use of expensive mold rubber.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I imagine some of the flexible materials the Objet uses could work as molds directly. But it would probably be more cost-effective to print a positive form and make molds from it, since you could make multiple molds from each model. I like the idea of 3D-printed mold boxes, though; that could definitely minimize the use of expensive mold rubber.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    I dont know why I never thought about using a flexible material, I have been wanting to get some this just made a reason to get some. I will update once I have some.

It's a interresting point. If this soft material from objet has a good mechanical and chemical resistance like as silicon rubber. Will be a great option. Otherwise. Why not make a silicon copy from 3d printed mold

Check out my guide here on how to make a cheap waste mold and transferring your 3D print to wax for further finishing.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=142321
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 01-28-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeoWorks View Post
    Check out my guide here on how to make a cheap waste mold and transferring your 3D print to wax for further finishing.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=142321
    Great tutorial, I done this but was not happy with the results, too many air pockets. What is the advanrtage adding the glycerine?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Or you can just print the mold directly with silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Or you can just print the mold directly with silicone.
    Davo,

please tell/show printing the silicone mold. sounds interesting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast