Close

FlashForge Teams with Simplify3D

FlashForge says they've been steadily expanding their 3D printer distribution around the world after launching their Creator 3D printer in 2013, and the company says they've also have gained acceptance for the printer's capability, performance and durability. Now they've undertaken an initiative aimed at giving users an easier startup experience by adding Simplify3D Software to their printer bundle. Simplify3D includes advanced features in their software to allow a user to easily modify the tolerances between parts and quickly move from a tight fit to a loose fit, all with a single click. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/55274/flashforge-...fy3d-partners/

I've been using a Flashforge Dreamer for about a year now and initially used the included Flashprint software exclusively for the first little while. I found the printer to be virtually useless. The software didn't give me enough control over using supports, fills or editing GCODE amongst many other settings. Supports and rafts were nearly glued to the print and were very difficult to remove. Flashprint uses embedded slicer modules which you can choose from (Slic3r, Skeinforge, ffslicer). Slicing complex models often took very long and the results weren't great. I eventually stopped using the printer because of frustration. I knew about Simplify3D but found it hard to justify paying for slicing software because of all of the free open source options, but seeing as the free options weren't working for me I decided to buy Simplify3D and to this day I don't use anything else, it works amazingly. Slicing is FAST, supports can be removed with barely leaving a mark on the surface of the print, you even have the ability to manually add supports rather than generating overall supports. You get to choose from 3 different quality presets (beginners) but have the ability to modify all the individual variables (advanced users). The only thing that I would love to see in Simplify3D would be more infill options, and the ability to "cut" large objects into smaller parts that can be assembled afterwards.

The news of the two companies working together is great!

this is great news. hope this option / partnership goes internation. not just in USA.

Engineer
    Man, wish mine included a glass print bed and a copy of Simplify3D when I bought it Good for them though, that would absolutely help new people buying a printer to get into the 3D Printing scene.

It is interesting though. I think with what I know now compared to when I first bought it, I would still end up going with the Powerspec 3D Pro at $800, and buy S3D for $150 compared to $1350 for the Creator Pro. Just a huge price difference and I notice very little difference. I hope Flashforge drop's the price on the creator pro soon.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    It's not free !

If you buy the straight creator you pay full price for simplify3d
    If you buy a pro or dreamer you get it for around half price.
    But you do still pay for it.

But hey, half price is not to be sniffed at - everytime I log on to the s3d site the price seems to have gone up.
    Glad it's lifetime upgrades :-)

Just need to create a working profile for the knp and I'll be a happy bunny. The profile s3d supplied to accugraphics drops the z-layer by about 1 mm for each layer (you can hear it clunk as it drops) weird. Given it's pretty standard sailfish firmware - no idea how they managed that.

Also the knp has a weird custom sized bed: 234x155x150 (haven't measured z-axis yet - could actually be taller)
    Just waiting for my cooling duct fan before I start serious printing with it.
    So all the offset and bed sizes need to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    It's not free !

But hey, half price is not to be sniffed at - everytime I log on to the s3d site the price seems to have gone up.

Just need to create a working profile for the knp and I'll be a happy bunny. The profile s3d supplied to accugraphics drops the z-layer by about 1 mm for each layer (you can hear it clunk as it drops) weird. Given it's pretty standard sailfish firmware - no idea how they managed that.

Also the knp has a weird custom sized bed: 234x155x150 (haven't measured z-axis yet - could actually be taller)
    Simplify3D works really well for the FlashForge Creator/Dreamer so this makes sense. I really enjoy using S3D over ReplicatorG.

With that said, the Klic-n-print is an entirely separate thing. They use a G-Code to X3G converter that they provide, if you're using the standard firmware provided by KnP, and their converter, it shouldn't matter what G-Code you use.

http://knp3d.com/software/#knp3dconverter

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I like to print from usb - so I'm currently not using slic3r and the convertor - but markerware and s3d.
    And like I said the printbed is non-standard so I'm not entirely convinced anything will work correctly without modification.

Plus i like s3d and I have it. So I'll create proper, working profiles and post them on the knp forum/website.
    I've already added a cooling fan and duct.
    Just need time to really get to grips with it.
    And maybe change the nozzles lol, it uses really flat ones and I prefer pointy ones.

I like to print from usb - so I'm currently not using slic3r and the convertor - but markerware and s3d.
    And like I said the printbed is non-standard so I'm not entirely convinced anything will work correctly without modification.

Plus i like s3d and I have it. So I'll create proper, working profiles and post them on the knp forum/website.
    I've already added a cooling fan and duct.
    Just need time to really get to grips with it.
    And maybe change the nozzles lol, it uses really flat ones and I prefer pointy ones.
    Ah, I think you might be overthinking it to be honest!

If you slice in Simplify3D, then use that knp converter, it should work. It has to do with how G-code/X3G are written. G-Code is written with coordinates, like a command that states "move to Z height 10 mm". X3G will say move the stepper motor 16000 steps to move 10 mm.

G-Code requires your printers firmware to have the correct steps-per-mm in order to be accurate. However, X3G code requires that the converter is accurate, which means it's really important you use the knp converter. The things like modified bed size shouldn't be an issue.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    It's not free !

I assume this half off price is for direct printer purchase from FlashForge, (ie: not through Amazon) ?

Buy the PowerSpec 3D pro (flashforge) from Microcenter for $699, then buy simplify3d for $150. You get a better printer, and still save over $350, lol.