Close

3D printing filament survey

Hey everyone!

Would appreciate it if you could all take 30 seconds and fill in this quick survey about your 3D printing filament buying habits:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vZ0...?usp=send_form

Thanks

Technician
    Thank you for making me think about it. I am still fairly new to 3D printing, and had not broken it down that far before.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    "Would you be more inclined to buy filament designed and manufactured in the EU vs China, bearing in mind the quality benefits and better regulation?"
    Neither. Want it made in the US where I can actually get it shipped to me before I die of old age.

"Would you prefer to buy your filament in bespoke boxes of 8, 16 etc. in order to save money per item and on delivery cost?"
    Well, if I knew what a bespoke box was...well maybe.

Senior Engineer
    I have never seen that EU has "quality benefits and better regulation" than China.

The punishment for not following regulation in China is normally discorporation.

The punishment in the EU is to get a sick note and a holiday on the NHS, which is a better motivator?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well, if I knew what a bespoke box was...well maybe.
    Bespoke means purpose built, custom built, or made to order - as opposed to a standard inventory item off the shelf.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Bespoke means purpose built, custom built, or made to order - as opposed to a standard inventory item off the shelf.
    I don't think the meaning of bespoke was the problem. Bespoke box, now that is something to question. Colour of your choice, Christmas stamps if you want, made from rare earth magnets maybe, how about cast aluminium. All excellent bespoke boxes but hardly something one generally considers when choosing filament.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    The origin of the filament is not important, just the quality. There is not guarantee filament made in the EU is going to be of higher quality than in china, it depends on the attitude of the company making the filament. Then it comes down to cost. If you have to pay shipping from China, I suggest you look it up first, bearing in mind that filament is sold in 1kg spools usually. We looked at importing filament from china but the shipping costs are not very attractive. Instead we have gone for an Irish Manufacturer, its a lot easier to manage.

I prefer Colorfabb in terms of quality. I've found a US supplier here that i like: http://www.printerplayground.com/materials

I'd enjoy the wood and special filaments but I can't afford them right now. Oh well, maybe someday!

Engineer
    I think it's going to be pretty hard to become a US supplier of ABS/PLA filament with all the options we already have. The price would have to be super low, or something to get my to even consider buying elsewhere. I can goto a store less than a hour away, and pick up filament $15 for 1KG. If I don't want to drive, I order on Amazon with Prime free 2 day shipping for around $21. It's just the best option's available for me, and I think any company trying to beat those at the moment would just not be able to do it.