Close

Engineer

Powder Based 3d printers?

I have been hearing a lot from some of my friends that powder based 3d printers are the future, and that filament printers will die out. Is this true?

I haven't really seen any powder based printers mentioned that often. How exactly do these work, and which are currently available to purchase?

Larry

I know there are a lot of powder based printers. For example there are printers that print using metal powder. The lazer basically follows the powder that is laid down and then melts it.

There are also ceramic powder and wood powder printers. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but I'm sure it is in a very similar matter.

Student
    I had the privilege to see one and get parts printed with it...
    At home it does not make much sense, because of the heat-up and cool-down times, the fact that printing a single small part will not only take longer and cause more garbage (as not all material can be recycled)...

The ceramic powder printers with inkjet won't have the heat/cool issue but even with modern curing resins can't be as thin and flexible as plastic parts. Their benefit is the possibility to print color models and cheap powder (in case of DIY projects).
    Fun fact: Even some commercial power printers use HP inkjet catridges.

Is powder cheaper to use than PLA filament in most cases?

I do believe that our Extruder base printers are pretty much at the end of its life,

It wont get any cheaper then 500 dollars just due you can't compromise the stepper motors and such you need to use,
    The quality is very limited aswell is the speed of these devices and its makes quiet some noise.

Probably the future as 3D printing goes will be with resins or powder for example,
    Even though i doubt Powder printers will go off the shelf for less then 5000 dollars.
    Peachy is a nice try to the right direction, even tho it needs some adjustements so would be more quality.