Close

Student

Now I cannot get the parts off the bed......

I'm using ABS on a heated bed at 100 C and kapton tape with a very light acetone/ABS wipe. Now I cannot get the parts off the bed. I can wiggle a putty knife under the printed parts but they generally get damaged in the process. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Put the bed in the freezer.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Pull up the tape.

i use hairspray on glass bed ,let the prints cool off ,and they just come loose by themselves

The 3d printer guys at my library uses one of those thing that lifts pie or pizza from the pie or pizza container (fk, I have no clue what those are called)

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    If the tape is too sticky, get rid of it. Use purple glue stick. I've been finding that Hercules glue is better than elmers. I usually lay down a thick enough layer of glue that after the first print is done, it leaves a residue. I just lay more glue over that each time for a half dozen prints or so until the residue is pretty well formed, and then I can go for weeks without having to add more glue. Then every 4-6 weeks, I wet the table down, and smooth out the bumps, or if it's bad, clean it completely. The part pulls a small layer of the glue up, and that can be washed off with water if neccessary, but I rarely do, or I sand it off since I'll be using an acetone bath later.

Student
    Hi guys,

Thanks to all for the ideas.
    I have been trying different amounts of the acetone/ABS slurry. It only take a very little on the Kapton tape,just enough to remove the shine on the tape, so that you can barely see the wash. In addition I started using a modified cake knife to remove the prints. I thinned the end of the knife (which is broad and rouded) then gave it a very slightedge radius so that it doesn’t catch or damage the tape and it has been workinggreat.

Chris