Close

Life-size R2D2 from Star Wars is 3D Printed

Since 2004, James Bruton has been building a following through Xrobots website which features his weekly video releases which provide details of his amazing 3D printed and electronic projects. From his Southampton lab, Bruton also operates a small import and sales business for creative materials called Creative Resources Distribution Limited, and he finances his projects through a combination of sponsorship and Patreon.com, a site which allows fans to pledge support money per each of his YouTube clips. Bruton's latest project provides all the necessary data and advice to build a 3D printed version of R2D2 via Github. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/52341/3d-printed-r2d2-robot/

Below is a picture of what Bruton has done thus far with his 3D printed R2D2:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm just amazed at the amount of time and effort people are prepared to put into projects like this.

I just don't have that type of patience.

Wonder what it'll be worth when he's finished it - and if you buy it, does it come with a tiny person to drive it round ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I'm just amazed at the amount of time and effort people are prepared to put into projects like this.

I just don't have that type of patience.

Wonder what it'll be worth when he's finished it - and if you buy it, does it come with a tiny person to drive it round ?
    It's all about doing what you love I suppose. I don't have the patience for a great many things but one of the bikes in my stable has been a project of mine for about 8 years now. Last year was the first time it saw the road after being up on stands for almost 6 years. The riding season hasn't yet started in my part of the country and I just tore it apart again to start on some new upgrades. Granted if money weren't such an obstacle for much of what I'm trying to do with it I would have had it done years ago but it is, so it's not.

Personally, as much as I love star wars I have no use for something like that, even as a conversation piece, and nowhere to store it so I would never bother. He looks geeky and single though so he's probably got nothing better to do