Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D CAD Software For Printers

Dear All,

I would like to know if 3d Printers come with 3D CAD Software Upon purchase. 3D Cad Software such as Geomagic, Autodesk, Solidworks, Etc. Anything that can create an STL File for production.

Sincerely,

Bmed

Engineer
    They don't sell 3D cad software, they sell however the slicing software along with your printer.
    Cad software is just too expansive and the license price has just too much option.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    There are multiple free CAD programs out there.

Use the CAD program to create the STL. Which CAD you use is up to you and what you are modeling for.

The Slicer is what you need to be sure to pair correctly with your printer. Most slicers will work with most printers, but some slicers work better with certain printers. Just find the one that works the best for you and your printer.

Then once you have designed the file in CAD, there are quite a few programs that will allow you to ensure that it is optimized for 3D Printing. Free Slicer programs are out there. But my personal favorite is using 3YOURMIND (http://3yourmind.com) to ensure that the file is prepared for the material I want to print in. I use their integration with Blender (https://www.3yourmind.com/integrations), and with a single click I have the file being verified.

Then I download the file again to create the print. They also connect to 20+ 3d printing service providers so you can also order directly from the site in whatever material you want.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    A good place to start fro free cad is: http://www.123dapp.com/
    There are numerous cad packages from autodesk - all free.

Also depending on the way your brain works openscad: www.openscad.org
    Is awesome :-)

Slicer wise the main three would be: cura, slic3r and simplify3d - simplify3d is the only one you pay for the other two are free.

What we find is that commercial cad people are only really happy with commercial software and almost everyone else manages very nicely with the free stuff :-)
    On the grounds: what you never had - you don't miss.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    To answer the OPs question, no generally 3D printers do not come with design CAD software. Its possible some that I don't know about do but that is not the general rule. You need to provide your own CAD packages to design with.

As stated, they commonly come with or give you references to slicing software that converts what you design into gcode that drives the printer. However this is not design software.

curious aardvark listed a couple good ones that are free. Another would be TinkerCad.

Basically anything that can output a STL file (or OBJ or DXF that can be converted to STL) will work. I use Modo ($1k graphics design program) to make stuff with. I bought it for doing 3D graphics meshes for CGI rendering. But it makes things I can print too Not really the best tool for the job but I am familiar with it and I can get the job done.

Engineer-in-Training
    Sketchup is the easiest thing to learn, but it is rapidly going downhill since Google sold it.

Also look at Fusion360, I use it for my CNC and 3D printing

Engineer
    Not sure if you guys realize it, the thread has been over 1 year, and I doubt OP will see it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    no but the same question will be asked at least 3 times aweek from now unto eternity - I figure the more threads around someone might accidentally read, the better :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast