Close

Autodesk Tinkerplay App

Autodesk has leveraged their recent acquisition of Modio to bring forth a new mobile and desktop application called Tinkerplay. The application allows both children and adults to 3D model and print in a way that's not at all complicated. Users simply select from a variety of creature parts and put their own creature together piece by piece. They also have the option of designing their own parts. Once assembled within the app, the creature can be colored in and either put into a virtual world on the screen or 3D printed at home. The application is great at arranging the pieces on the build platform so that they print without a headache. More details on this application can be found here: http://3dprint.com/51664/autodesk-tinkerplay/

Let us know if you have downloaded Tinkerplay and what you though. Below is a picture of the application along with a 3D print created using the app.

I had/have the Modio app that was put out previously, and now I downloaded this. It's of course the same with just a few add ons. I've enjoyed the program over all. It's pretty neat to go from a simple pop together build to 3D printing. They're fun little figures and you can make just about anything you want.With just a short amount of time you begin to feel like you are making your own action figure line.

I have them saving to give me 4" scale figures. It allows the figures to print faster for one thing plus as a huge GIJoe collector, it's sort of fun to pose them with those figures. I've started playing around with my own designs using these as the guild. I can keep the joints the same and just add my own heads, chests or what have you in a 3D program.

It's just a lot of fun. My only issue is that I can not figure out settings to create parts on my Wanhao Duplicator 4S. Of course that's basically the same as a Makerbot Replicator 2, which the program claims to be optimized for. If I try and print parts that has any over hang or hollow areas, it results in a mess. I still can not find any detailed information from the designers for what they would recommend on settings. I would like to know the full details in Makerware from the resolution, speed, and temperature. This is something that needs to be posted somewhere as the default settings DO NOT work. The default settings create warping, over hangs droop, and most of the time the piece falls over no matter how much prep work you do to the surface.

I have been using my UP! Mini to make the figures mostly. Only parts that lay flat are parts I can do on the Duplicator. The UP! Mini however always gives me great results. Even at the 200 micron limit.

similar problems with a duplicator i3

Quote Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
    I had/have the Modio app that was put out previously, and now I downloaded this. It's of course the same with just a few add ons. I've enjoyed the program over all. It's pretty neat to go from a simple pop together build to 3D printing. They're fun little figures and you can make just about anything you want.With just a short amount of time you begin to feel like you are making your own action figure line.

I have them saving to give me 4" scale figures. It allows the figures to print faster for one thing plus as a huge GIJoe collector, it's sort of fun to pose them with those figures. I've started playing around with my own designs using these as the guild. I can keep the joints the same and just add my own heads, chests or what have you in a 3D program.

It's just a lot of fun. My only issue is that I can not figure out settings to create parts on my Wanhao Duplicator 4S. Of course that's basically the same as a Makerbot Replicator 2, which the program claims to be optimized for. If I try and print parts that has any over hang or hollow areas, it results in a mess. I still can not find any detailed information from the designers for what they would recommend on settings. I would like to know the full details in Makerware from the resolution, speed, and temperature. This is something that needs to be posted somewhere as the default settings DO NOT work. The default settings create warping, over hangs droop, and most of the time the piece falls over no matter how much prep work you do to the surface.

I have been using my UP! Mini to make the figures mostly. Only parts that lay flat are parts I can do on the Duplicator. The UP! Mini however always gives me great results. Even at the 200 micron limit.
    I noticed that my torso part warps on one side and this is what causes the printer to knock the part off. The part has no infill, not being watertight, I wonder if this leaves the part open to warping, I have not modded my printer to produce an all round collar of cooling air from the fan, and foolishly I never worked out which side of the print warped. I am a bit of a newby to printing so do not know what to do in order to prevent the warping in upper layers (about layer thirty it starts to get serious I would say).