Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    By diverse, they probably meant proprietary resin, typical comment from the industry..... The fact they are still resin makes it harder for real use and application, unless you do experiment with prototype.
    Until then, I call horsecrap in the video. When parts that are still coated with liquid resin, this is where the object looks the best or once post treated.

Further, I'd like to know the ammount of time spent just to wipe off those half-cured resin that are a pain to deal with.

We are going to discuss this at length tomorrow on "3D in Review"

As always, a well written and concise article Brian. As many of your readers have replied, they are skeptical. Tune in tomorrow morning as we Brad Hill, Stephen Hernandez, and Brian Martinez along with Chris and myself talk through the hype, find out what the real breakthroughs are. Check us out at 9:30 a.m. PST: https://plus.google.com/events/ccces...u5roc946jllr10

Mike Balzer
    Producer
    All Things 3D

Add postmahomeson on Facebook Add postmahomeson on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    I just think down the line 5-6 years where this technology has been sped up and scaled. Can't wait!
    " idk until recently how low scale it is yeah they just got to upscale at least a cubic foot (preferably at least 15 inch x 15 inch x 15 inch , add more materials and features ( in a exhaustive list ) the next thing would be what software compatibility and the unit price of the materials and the price of the machine preferably about $4,000 or less , (if they could do that and get mass production it would give them at least potentially make them on the fortune list, ( it just takes the a treats for the media , commitment and activity and they would be a classic forever Envision able company ( also it's harder to follow there progress without a stock symbol just have a Youtube for a head and a mouth like Google ) * trademarks are respected

The speed is nice (enabled by having no need to mechanically rip the print off the window and re-dunk), the fragility of parts is nice (again, from not having to rip each layer off the window), and the XY resolution and size might be addressed with steered lasers instead of a digital projector (or ganged projectors).
    But as with any SLA printer, it still can't print independent parts (like unsupported chain links) that I can do with a polyjet.

And "continuous"? Um, not really, it's still printing layers... though they might be so thin that they approach "continuous".

There's potential in this method, but DeSimone goes overboard with the hype, imho torpedoing his credibility. Still, he'll have a nicer retirement than me, so who's right?

Following Carbon3D's huge announcement last week about their CLIP (Continuous Liquid Interface Production) technology that can achieve unprecedented speeds in production, many questions have arisen. 3DPrint.com reached out to Carbon3D, and their Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer, Rob Schoeben, responded to some of the issues about which inquiring minds would like to know. Schoeben discussed target markets, eventual collaborative effort, and more -- including confirmation of the Terminator influence on the technology. While price, number of 3D printers, and exact timing are still inconclusive, Schoeben did provide some key insights about what we can know right now. Check out what he had to say in the full article: http://3dprint.com/54291/carbon3d-interview-schoeben/

Has there been any further information on print resolution and whether or not the new machines will have larger build plates for multiple pieces at once?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by patmat View Post
    And "continuous"? Um, not really, it's still printing layers... though they might be so thin that they approach "continuous".
    I think you're mistaken, the printer use continuous extrusion of the part curing it with a projected image. Layers as we know them would only be created if the object stopped moving, I don't think it ever does. Also they may be lerping the g-code layers while projecting, which means you could be getting as much as 120 "layers" per second of data to create the object.

So if the data is projected at 120hz you're layers on a 5" tall object that prints in just 10 minutes would be as small as just 1.7 microns! That's nearly 100 times the resolution of most printers. Print slower and it gets even smaller than that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12