Close

BlackMagic3D Graphene 3D Printer Filament Launches

Graphene 3D Lab has been working tirelessly on a Graphene/PLA composite material which can be used within most FDM/FFF 3D printers. The material is highly conductive, can be used for Rf shielding, and capacitive sensors. The new filament was launched under a new brand named BlackMagic3D. Priced at $65 per 200 grams, it certainly isn't cheap, but if the filament has the properties that the company claims, it may just be worth it. The new filament will work on most printers which have a heated bed (50 degrees C), and can extrude at temperatures around 170 degree C. More details on this new graphene filament, and the new BlackMagic3D brand can be found here: http://3dprint.com/51502/black-magic-3d-graphene

Below is an example of a functioning print created with the conductive filament used as circuits:

Hello Everyone. I have started using this filament.
    I use a nozzle with 0.4mm diameter in brass, an E3D Online-like Direct HotEnd (no PTFE nor PEEK), and a gear drive right above the entry of the HotEnd.
    My first experiments with BlackMagic3D allowed me to successfully print flat patterns, with volume resistivity as low as 10 Ohm.cm.
    However when iddle, the filament kind of solidifies in the nozzle and cannot be extruded whatever the pressure applied. I had to remove the filament from above, cut the tip which had swelled, and put the filament back again.
    Besides, my second series of experiments was a complete failure. I could not extrudate the filament at all, except when just introduced and pushed by hands.
    I am still investigating the issue, maybe trying higher temperature... I kept the spool within the cartridge of my 3D printing, which has no control over the environment (temperature, humidity, undesired particles floating around...). So I suspect some kind of aging of the filament: oxidation, water absorption,... What do you think? I have to look into it, but so far I found no particularly strict recommendation from the supplier about the conditioning of the spool except "dry environment".
    I would really appreciate to read other feedbacks.