Close

ChocaByte - $99 Chocolate 3D Printer

We've seen chocolate 3D Printers before, but they are all in the $2,000+ range. This new one is only $99.

It was on display at CES this past week.

I have no idea how well it prints or what the prints look like. Anyone see this in action?

More details on their site at: http://www.solididea.com/

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    very weird.. "Designed just days before the expo"

So someone woke up and thought, oh the expo is on.. better create a new revolutionary way of 3D printing using chocolate and then build the prototype in time for the expo in a few days?

The website has little to no info on it, I tried hard to find a video of it in action, but no luck I'm afraid

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by djbrowny View Post
    Hello there,

I am the one who designed the interior of this contraption (I didnt do the concept, I did the mechanics) and I'm going around to try and explain it, as I fully understand there is a serious lack of info.

The reason for that is because it is true, it was designed in days, or to be accurate about 2 and a half weeks and from the time the website was made, it has been iterated heavily. I do have videos of it in action but unfortunately they are of an older version which doesnt look like the above! When the creator, Quinn, returns to Australia we will continue to put the final additions to the prototype to print chocolate from it. Then we will have some better videos of it I can promise!

If you have any questions about it or are doubtful, I can help answer them. I wont be able to give too much away as it is still in prototyping phase, it would be inaccurate for me to make a statement which could later be false, but hopefully I can fill in the gaps left on the solididea website.
    Can you give us a basic rundown on how it works? what sort of methods it uses etc?

Technician
    I read on the site that you have to warm up the chocolate first before you can use it. That was a concern for me, so I don't buy it right now.

Technologist
    Looks awesome! Just signed up for one!

It will be interesting to follow this project's development.