Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen or Ultimaker

Hi folks! It's my first post here and I know this topic has been discussed a lot of times. I've been following one thread here with the same topic.
    I have quite some experrience with industrial 3D printers, but now I want my own desktop 3D printer.
    I have now opportunity to purchase MakerBot Replicator with the same price as Ultimaker 2.

But my main concern with Makerbot Replicator 5-th gen is that it prints only PLA, as advertised.
    So I would like to know if there is any way to make this printer to print with flexible materials like TPE, or something like Ultimaker has- Flexible PLA?

Thanks guys!

Buy the Ultimaker 2, we have first gen Replicator and Ultimaker 2 (among many other types of 3D Printers like 3 Cubes, Printerbot, 2 Prusas, 2 Cupcakes and 2 Kossels) and the Ultimaker prints are better and has far less issues that the Replicator.

Yeah I'm also more into Ultimaker, can't really beat heated base =D

We have had a replicator 5g for two months, after using a replicator 2X regularly at our former workplace. The 2X was a workhorse. Comparatively, the 5g has *serious* problems that will cost you a huge amount of your time. Ours throws error 1024 (The smart extruder is not communicating) on every 3rd attempt to print. It fails with an extruder jam every second time, and the remaining fraction come out with horrible build quality. Often when starting a job, the extruder will park in the middle of the build platform and leak PLA while sensing the build plate position, then drag the resulting glob into the print area, screwing up the print. The self diagnostics reports an overcurrent value on one of the motor sensors, and the extruder light flickers constantly as though too much current were being drawn. We tried all the obvious things (firmware upgrade, manual calibration, scouring forums, etc.) but no dice. It doesn't help that Makerbot dissolved their official user group recently... We requested to return the printer to Makerbot Europe for a refund, but were informed that they legally have 3 attempts to fix it before they take it back. We obliged, and sent it for repair. Initially shipping was to be at our expense, but after enough angry Emails, they obliged. They returned it with a lubricated Z-axis and a 3-d printed "dust filter" and a scrap of kitchen sponge, that we're supposed to add to their product. The idea is to soak the sponge with WD40 (their suggestion) and run the PLA through it as it passes into the extruder head. This hack got us past error 1024 more frequently, but the printer is still effectively unusable and Makerbot refuses to do the right thing and accept a return. So in answer, stay away from Makerbot's latest beta product (the 5g), until their newly reorganized company figures out how to support their customers. (Hint: If you don't purchase their support plan, you'll pay $100 each time to call them for support when (not if!) your printer breaks: http://www.makerbot.com/makercare). We need to 3d print for our research, so in the meantime we've ordered an Ultimaker. The reviews look solid, the user community is active, and the thing is open source - my conclusion is that even if there are some initial growing pains, we won't be screwed the way we are now.

Hi Josh,
    Wow, sorry to hear. No doubt now, will go with Ultimaker.
    Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep - basically makerbot have taken a major step backwards with the 5th gen.
    And Ultimakers have larger build volume, faster and cleaner printing and just keep on winning prizes.

Thanks guys for all the inputs! Well, I got the makerbot, but will exchange for Ultimaker now ... haven't even opened the package =)
    Got it as a mistake ... From the beginning I wanted to get Ultimaker, because I really need to use different materials and really need this flexible material like ninjaflex or Ultmakers flexible PLA ... but just was wondering if by any chance Makerbot can do that as well, so I don't have to drive and exchange this printer ... looks like I'll do that =)
    Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    flexible filaments can be printed on cold bed. Well i always do :-)
    So basically any 3d printer can print flexible filaments. As long as they can extrude it.

Some of the new filaments like semi-flex and flexifill are actually stiff enough to work in a bowden setup as well. Certainly in the 3mn filament the ultimaker uses.

So yeah the makerbot will do that. But seriously, for the money the ultimaker is twice the machine the makerbot is.

well, in my case the price for Makerbot is the same as Ultimaker ...

ahhh guys =D I am lost again =) hehe
    So has anyone tried pritning flexible filament on Makerbot 5-th gen SUCCESSFULLY?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast