Close

3D Printed Laser Projection Clock

Switzerland has long been known for its history of creating the finest clocks, and the latest comes to us from a DIYer armed with a 3D printer. Stefan Ries, a maker, engineer, and ex-fiber optics equipment designer, often takes on DIY projects. With his new UP! Mini 3D printer, he set himself to the task of creating a laser projection clock. He worked through 16 different versions of the 3D model to get to his clock, and still has more ideas to iterate upon its current incarnation -- all of the models are available now on Thingiverse. Find out more about Ries' background and design in the full article: http://3dprint.com/50571/3d-printed-projection-clock/

Below is a look at Ries' 3D printed laser projection clock:

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Once completely assembled, the only real issue that the clock had was that it was too light. While the mirrors spun, the clock would vibrate and slowly creep along Ries’ desktop.
    “Of course always keeping a hand on the clock was not an option so I made a container which I filled up with coins to add some weight (I do a lot of business trips and have coins in foreign currency laying around everywhere),” Ries told us.
    Rofl! So instead of solving the actual problem of a imbalanced rotating object, the solution was to fill it with coins. Thankfully he doesn't work at Car-X or Firestone. All the cars leaving those shops would be filled with lead weights instead of balanced tires.