Close

View Poll Results: What quantity of 3D printer filament do you prefer to buy?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1kg spool

13 86.67%
  • 250g spool

1 6.67%
  • 10m

1 6.67%
  • by the meter

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    as good would be fine. The reprapper stuff is very nice.
    I'll do a side by side comparison :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well, with my recent fiasco with trying to order from GlobalFSD, I really don't have an option but to order spools. Yea, I would like to get a US company to drop me 5m or 10m chunks of a new filament to see what its about and whether my printer will be happy iwth it. But, unfortunately, such a company or opportunity doesn't exist.

Would I like 10m of BrassFill? Sure. Not an option so ColorFabb is sending me a 750g spool. Would I like 10m of bioFila Silk to play with? Sure, but I can't even buy it from any US retailer that I can find.

So, for filaments I know, I buy spools. Ones that are new or I don't know about, I try to find samples to buy.

Hi Wolfie, did you look at their sample pack ? http://colorfabb.com/specials-sample-pack

I got a colorfabb exotics sample pack for christmas.

Here's a thing. Not one of the bags conatining the samples lengths was labelled.
    I had to look up the pack online and then work out which bag held which filament.

Actually I just found the box and the filament isn't even in bags. Just loose coils of unlabelled filament.
    This stuff isn't cheap - at the very least it should be in a bag with a sachet of silicon.

AT the very least I was expecting a label on the bags and a printed sheet with the printing specs on it in the box.
    Nope they don't do that.

Right, ordered a roll of blue pla from you, worked out £24.85 with postage.
    So that's still £6 a roll more than the reprapper. But I'll try it anyway :-)
    I know I know, 3d filaprint offer free second class post delivery.
    I'm just trying to compare like with like here.

Cheap as chips pla from ebay is £13 a roll delivered. And yeah it does warp a bit and gets brittle if left for a while and is wrapped way too tight on the reel. But for a quick print that doesn't need much presision - it definitely has it's place (poop bag dispensers for example :-) .

Right I've promised my mate a nasa coffe coaster in blue pla - so that'll be the first test for this stuff :-)

Review when i get it.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hi Wolfie, did you look at their sample pack ? http://colorfabb.com/specials-sample-pack
    Ordered it.

Along with this one:
    http://colorfabb.com/color-sample-pack

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I got a colorfabb exotics sample pack for christmas.

Here's a thing. Not one of the bags conatining the samples lengths was labelled.
    I had to look up the pack online and then work out which bag held which filament.

AT the very least I was expecting a label on the bags and a printed sheet with the printing specs on it in the box.
    Nope they don't do that.
    Sigh. Seems to be a trend. I ordered the exotics pack from MakerGeeks. It too came in random bags. Absolutely no labeling. They even put out a youtube video on how to identify what was in it! Seriously. How hard is it to print a sheet of labels and apply them on the bags? Sad thing is that two of the filaments were not even on the list or the video of what was to be included in the pack. Not sorry they did the subs but it made identifying them nearly impossible. Took several emails over two weeks to sort it out. Should not be this way. A box of Avery sticky labels are not that expensive and are easy to run through a laser printer in under half a minute.

I will say, one of the GlobalFSD boxes arrived (found its way out of Chicago after a week of circling downtown Chicago). The two samples that are in it were in individual ziplock bags with a descant pack in each. There was a proper label on each one noting manufacturer, filament name/type, diameter and it even noted what the batch # and the manufacture date were. No printing specs but knowing what it is, I can find that out easily. The critical info who made it and what is it are there. Well done GlobalFSD. This is the RIGHT way to handle samples. Well marked so we don't have to roll the freaking dice and guess or have to get all Sherlock on it.

Yeah - I've just spooled a very generous sample roll of filament that i got from the colorfabb people at the tct show. I have no clue what it is. I 'think' it's pet.
    But he didn't say and they were busy so i didn't hassle him. :-)

I've got some proto pasta stainless steel pla, some soluble pva and some 3dxnano pet coming - that's supposed to be conductive.

Fun times :-)

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Right, ordered a roll of blue pla from you, worked out £24.85 with postage.
    So that's still £6 a roll more than the reprapper. But I'll try it anyway :-)
    I know I know, 3d filaprint offer free second class post delivery.
    I'm just trying to compare like with like here.

Right I've promised my mate a nasa coffe coaster in blue pla - so that'll be the first test for this stuff :-)

Review when i get it.
    Got your order, it will go out tomorrow morning. Sorry about the postage but we have to cover our costs. Obviously if you buy more than one filament spool then the postage works out cheaper. Basically all orders <£150 postage is £6.50, >£150 and its free. Its done to even postage out across all products. Looking forward to see the results of the coaster test.

Ah okay - that's pretty reasonable.
    So flat rate of £6.50 postage up to about 8 kg of filament.
    Can't complain about that - cheers :-)

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    We have created some sample packs for our ABS, Ingeo PLA and Biome 3D PLA now if anybody is interested. The shipping is free for the UK. We are still trying to sort out our international shipping.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123