Close

View Poll Results: What quantity of 3D printer filament do you prefer to buy?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1kg spool

13 86.67%
  • 250g spool

1 6.67%
  • 10m

1 6.67%
  • by the meter

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse

Question What quantity do yo want to buy your 3D printer filament in?

We would be interested to know what quantities people prefer to buy 3D printer filament in.

For example do you like to buy in 1kg spools or would you prefer to buy it by the meter or perhaps somewhere in between.

We would be very interested to hear your views.

Student
    I'm missing an extra option: per 5 KG !

Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sn00zerman View Post
    I'm missing an extra option: per 5 KG !
    Apologies. I don't think I can add an extra option now.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    And 750g spool.

And 1500g spool.

And 2200g spool.

Frik, I wish there was some standard here. 1kg. Be done with it. ALL spools should be the same size/weight. Haven't we had enough of the size to price garbage in other products? I swear the manufacturers are selling .75kg spools just so their prices look like other's 1kg spools and hope the consumer doesn't realize they are only getting 3/4 of what they get somewhere else for similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    And 750g spool.

And 1500g spool.

And 2200g spool.

Frik, I wish there was some standard here. 1kg. Be done with it. ALL spools should be the same size/weight. Haven't we had enough of the size to price garbage in other products? I swear the manufacturers are selling .75kg spools just so their prices look like other's 1kg spools and hope the consumer doesn't realize they are only getting 3/4 of what they get somewhere else for similar price.
    The point of the question was really to get an idea of what sort of quantities people like to buy their filament in. You are right, standardization is important, especially with regards to the spool and attaching it to the printer. Some spools have a too small a core which is not good for the filament and feeding.

Basically do you prefer to buy your filament in bulk, have a lot of the same type or do your prefer to buy smaller amounts but then perhaps have lots of different types of filament?

Senior Engineer
    1kg or more to use but maybe I would buy smaller to try but for sure not less than .250kg, it's not worth lacing the head for less than that.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Well, with my recent fiasco with trying to order from GlobalFSD, I really don't have an option but to order spools. Yea, I would like to get a US company to drop me 5m or 10m chunks of a new filament to see what its about and whether my printer will be happy iwth it. But, unfortunately, such a company or opportunity doesn't exist.

Would I like 10m of BrassFill? Sure. Not an option so ColorFabb is sending me a 750g spool. Would I like 10m of bioFila Silk to play with? Sure, but I can't even buy it from any US retailer that I can find.

So, for filaments I know, I buy spools. Ones that are new or I don't know about, I try to find samples to buy.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I ticked 1kg - but it depends entirely on the filament.

I'd like some conductive pla - but I don't need a kg.

And some filaments would just be too expensive if they were sold in 1kg rolls.

'Standard' (if there is still such a thing) abs and pla 1kg. Exotic filaments - 10 metre samples and larger amounts depending on their relative cost.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    ...Basically do you prefer to buy your filament in bulk, have a lot of the same type or do your prefer to buy smaller amounts but then perhaps have lots of different types of filament?
    - All of the above, it depends on the job. For PLA I would love to get this stuff in 5-10Kg spools at a good bulk cost because I go through so much. On the other hand, lets say I need some FlexPLA; in this case I would only need a 1Kg-2Kg spools because I don't use it very frequently (sucks that its only available in 0.5Kg).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    ... Yea, I would like to get a US company to drop me 5m or 10m chunks of a new filament to see what its about and whether my printer will be happy iwth it. But, unfortunately, such a company or opportunity doesn't exist...
    - These are also important packages to offer. As wolfie states, its very nice to be able to give the filament a try before committing to buying a whole spools worth. I always wanted to try some of the exotic filaments, but because samples are hardly available and I don't feel like burning $50-$60 to only try one type I choose to only gamble once in awhile on some of the wild stuff.

Really we just want to know what are the best quantities to sell filament in. We stock in 1kg spools but think some people may prefer to buy smaller quantities. Rather than make up our own mind we thought we would ask, carry out, dare I say it, some market research.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast