Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BBP Control Board - Speed Up Your 3D Printer

FastBot, having just launched a Kickstarter campaign for their BBP board, is catering to those who want more power and speed for their 3D printers — as well as laser cutters and CNC machines. Featuring an AM335x, 1GHZ Cortex-A8 processor, FastBot has also developed a firmware for the BBP board to make a ‘high frequency step control signal,’ which is responsible for the higher speeds in 3D printing. They also offer the BBP 1S which is exponentially more powerful, with extra features such as an interface for higher temperature printing and extended interfaces to allow for color printing. Find out more in the full article: http://3dprint.com/50168/kickstarter...ots-bbp-board/

Below is a photo of the BBP board:

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Any idea whether this board is delta printer ready? I haven't seen any mention of it.

Engineer
    I dont get why this would be much better then a rambo board

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by BBP Team View Post
    One big problem of 3d printer is the speed, people need to wait for hours to print a simple model. That is because the current control board, like RAMPS, Smoothie, are all powered by Atmel processors, whose frequency are too low to let the motor run fast.

Oh just freaking cut it, do you guys even know what the hell you're talking about? Don't you dare thinking us as brainless people...

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    I dont get why this would be much better then a rambo board
    I'm thinking niche application where people are developing printers that can actually hit higher speeds, although I haven't seen any in action.

Engineer
    It is nearly useless to develop faster electronics, when the physical limitation/ hardware are bottlenecking it. As soon as you increase speed, you're just going to torture your printer faster.....

Motor noise,Vibration, loosen screw, nozzle jamming, layers that are still way too hot even with active cooling....

Speed is a change direction, and other physical limitation will be dismiss.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    It is nearly useless to develop faster electronics, when the physical limitation/ hardware are bottlenecking it. As soon as you increase speed, you're just going to torture your printer faster.....

Motor noise,Vibration, loosen screw, nozzle jamming, layers that are still way too hot even with active cooling....
    Agreed, you'll just make a useless pile of goo faster.

It's a fact accuracy and speed is mutex . highter speed get troubled in "Motor noise,vibration, loosen screw, nozzle jamming, layers".
    We need face it and improve to change them. If research highter speed is wrong, we will lock myself in here and 3d print remain is slow after 10 years.
    Don't stop improving it, must try some new direction.

But that's precisely the point man.

Simple physics say that viscous goo can't be applied much faster. So, if you want to go faster you need to change the technology and the underlying physical properties you aim to leverage. Here the limit is clearly viscosity/cooling management.

Look at the SLA printers. When the guys decided to go faster, they created this oxygen activation process for the resin. The limiting factor was not the laser or its aiming system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast